Anyone gonna see Act Of Valor?

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
michaeld20

Anyone gonna see Act Of Valor?

Post by michaeld20 » 17 Feb 2012, 08:57

I read the book and it was phenomenal, I could picture every single moment in my head.
"Some people in this world, they think their invincible... well thats just not true... beacause if you make just ONE mistake it could all end in a matter of seconds and then really how invincible are you?"- Myself

Eddietester1066
Retired

Re: Anyone gonna see Act Of Valor?

Post by Eddietester1066 » 17 Feb 2012, 09:14

It's tempting. Cinematically, it could be quite good. (It could also be really lame, like Red Tails.) Operationally, this along with all the other publicity, it's a huge mistake. Covert operators are supposed to work from the shadows, and everything that reveals or even hints at techniques and tactics exposes future operations to compromise. Not every target has guards that are stoned on kaat all night, and you really don't want to hand them your playbook.
Which leads to this:

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 17 Feb 2012, 11:08

It looks really intriguing. If critics say it's not horrible, I'll probably go see it. Few action movies interest me as much as this one seems to be doing.

michaeld20

Post by michaeld20 » 26 Feb 2012, 18:40

It was a great movie, I don't know why the critics hit it so hard.
"Some people in this world, they think their invincible... well thats just not true... beacause if you make just ONE mistake it could all end in a matter of seconds and then really how invincible are you?"- Myself

LS13
Retired

Post by LS13 » 26 Feb 2012, 19:48

Yeah, saw it last night. It was awesome! And I heard they had to cast actual seals cause the stunts were too much for normal stunt men.
Daemon wrote:I'm going to draw the fuck out of this egg.

Mattybcd

Post by Mattybcd » 27 Feb 2012, 16:19

Pretty good
Video editor. GFX artist. Intro designer. *Pic coming soon* Also follow me on twitter- @Delux_kingzz

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 27 Feb 2012, 17:09

I saw it on he second day. The action sciences where brilliant, the story was ok, and the acting was pretty good. (For men who supposedly aren't actors.) It's nice to see something that throws the Military (especially my Navy) in a positive light, but isn't whitewashed propaganda. That said, I highly doubt they were really using active duty SEALs (Retired, maybe), I don't think the Navy would let them use real ones, contrary to what the trailers may say.
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 27 Feb 2012, 17:11

Eddietester1066 wrote:Covert operators are supposed to work from the shadows, and everything that reveals or even hints at techniques and tactics exposes future operations to compromise. Not every target has guards that are stoned on kaat all night, and you really don't want to hand them your playbook.

The Navy supposedly worked with the filmmakers, to make sure nothing secret was revealed.
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae