Diamonds~!

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Diamonds~!

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 30 Aug 2011, 22:57

http://www.canadianminingjournal.com/ne ... 000548514/
Just imagine if this was in Minecraft, I could finish converting my house into diamond, AND make a diamond city!

Sti_Jo_Lew

Re: Diamonds~!

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 30 Aug 2011, 23:26

Read that story on Yahoo a couple days ago, very interesting read. Too bad all the idiot trolls corrupt the comments with their stupidity.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

xidontcarex

Post by xidontcarex » 30 Aug 2011, 23:44

that is the coolest thing ever o.o however, however, if this were to be mined, the prices of diamond would dramatically decrease, virtually breaking the entire diamond industry...

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 31 Aug 2011, 02:47

O_O

Exactly what I was thinking xidontcarex.
Oh hey, I have a signature now! 26/07/11

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 31 Aug 2011, 03:03

Stuff life this is why I don't buy resource scarcity as a believable source of conflict in sci fi movies/novels/games. The galaxy is so large and abundant in raw materials for anyone with the technology to reach them. Once technology advances to a certain point it makes far more sense to strip mine planets like this than to try and invade occupied worlds who might fight back.

Anyway, that little ramble aside, this is kinda cool. Of course if we ever did reach it and successfully mine it all we'd be accomplishing is to drive the value of diamond into the ground.
The staff here are all trolls

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 31 Aug 2011, 04:17

er guys? were missing a big question here.

how in all the hells would you mine through SOLID DIAMOND! :shock:
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

marurder

Post by marurder » 31 Aug 2011, 04:48

vallorn wrote:er guys? were missing a big question here.

Many people in suits with diamond pickaxes! Attach it to a space tug and pull it out! Diamond the size of a building! Nah, they would tnt it :( Such a waste.

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 31 Aug 2011, 06:37

xidontcarex wrote:that is the coolest thing ever o.o however, however, if this were to be mined, the prices of diamond would dramatically decrease, virtually breaking the entire diamond industry...
There are actually many, many more diamonds on the planet than you think. In fact companies like DeBeers hold almost a monopoly on a large percentage of diamond production in the world today. They intentionally keep diamonds off the market which artificially raise the value of them even though they aren't really that rare.

Also due to much of the diamond production is located in Africa, there is massive amounts of violence (I'm sure you've heard of "blood diamonds") that DeBeers employs to keep the diamonds coming.

In almost any circumstance, you should buy man-made diamonds. Why? Because no blood is spilled to obtain it, it's a flawless diamond already (and your girl is worth a perfect diamond, right?), and it's friendly to your wallet. But most importantly, no one died in getting it.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 31 Aug 2011, 07:47

actualy Sneaky almost all manmade diamonds are heavily flawed and filled with impurities that makes them only useful for industrial drills and the like...

did a load of research on them a couple of years back :)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

xidontcarex

Post by xidontcarex » 31 Aug 2011, 08:37

vallorn wrote:er guys? were missing a big question here.

if its possible to cut diamonds, i dont see it not possible to mine diamonds o.o

@sneaky
even if there is loads of diamonds still in the ground, most of them are wayyy below the ground(where pressure is extreme high, otherwise diamonds wont form),so it would take some serious equipment to mine. now if we were to talk about a PLANET made of diamonds, digging them from the surface is much easier than digging with loads of pressure, dont u think?

however, this wont happen untill we actually get the technology to travel there and bring heavy machinery just to get the diamonds XP

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 31 Aug 2011, 08:38

vallorn wrote:actualy Sneaky almost all manmade diamonds are heavily flawed and filled with impurities that makes them only useful for industrial drills and the like...

So have I and you're incorrect.

There are many jewelers out there that sell flawless man-made diamonds. I have actually purchased them before and I carefully did research to ensure I was getting what they were advertising.
@sneaky
even if there is loads of diamonds still in the ground, most of them are wayyy below the ground(where pressure is extreme high, otherwise diamonds wont form),so it would take some serious equipment to mine. now if we were to talk about a PLANET made of diamonds, digging them from the surface is much easier than digging with loads of pressure, dont u think?
So you're saying it would be easier to travel to a planet made of diamonds rather than digging out what we have underneath the surface?

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 31 Aug 2011, 08:41

Just out of interest, what would be roughly the average cost for, say, a flawless manmade diamond ring?
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 31 Aug 2011, 08:45

Wildwill002 wrote:Just out of interest, what would be roughly the average cost for, say, a flawless manmade diamond ring?
It still depends on carat size, cut, and what the diamond is set in.

When I priced a two-carat diamond ring set in white gold, it was about $400. It was rather nice looking.

And when you're still a college student, it's fantastic on your empty wallet.

Pinmissile
Retired

Post by Pinmissile » 31 Aug 2011, 11:06

Too bad it's inhabited by the na'vi.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 31 Aug 2011, 11:53

Lol Pin. You're thinking of the planet filled with noble gases. Ya know, all the gasses used in neon lights.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Pinmissile
Retired

Post by Pinmissile » 31 Aug 2011, 12:07

It's a planet made out of a rare substance. It's just a matter of time before we send over an expedition and see that it's filled with really big smurfs. History has taught me well!

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 31 Aug 2011, 12:38

remember were gonna be mining the the solar system for stuff long before we start extrasolar mining operations.
SneakyPie wrote:
vallorn wrote:actualy Sneaky almost all manmade diamonds are heavily flawed and filled with impurities that makes them only useful for industrial drills and the like...

There are many jewelers out there that sell flawless man-made diamonds. I have actually purchased them before and I carefully did research to ensure I was getting what they were advertising.
i stand corrected Overlord. i guess they fixed that fault since i did the research or i was just plain wrong.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 31 Aug 2011, 12:41

vallorn wrote:remember were gonna be mining the the solar system for stuff long before we start extrasolar mining operations.
SneakyPie wrote:

i stand corrected Overlord. i guess they fixed that fault since i did the research or i was just plain wrong.
Probably just a case of recent advances in tech... so you are right... but your info might now be outdated.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 31 Aug 2011, 14:52

Technology marches on, as they say.