London riots. AHAHAHHHH!

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
Sti_Jo_Lew

Re: London riots. AHAHAHHHH!

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 09 Aug 2011, 15:03

More proof the rioters are idiots. :lol: God, people are stupid.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 09 Aug 2011, 15:09

SneakyPie wrote:HA!

Britain.
SneakyPie wrote:This is what your police need:
Mossberg500.jpg
Filled with bean bags.

And teargas. Lots of teargas.
Wisdom from the all-knowing SneakyPie.

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 09 Aug 2011, 15:18

vallorn wrote:nah sneaky were using armoured cars driving at full tilt at them now... apparently they run like hell when several tons of metal hurtles at them down the street.
Big cars aren't enough. You need to completely demoralize them. Seeing people next to you getting dropped by beanbags and writhing in agony will undoubtedly make a larger percentage of the opportunists rethink what they're doing.

Sure you can go for cheap scare tactics, or you can go for their hearts and minds.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 09 Aug 2011, 15:22

SneakyPie wrote:
vallorn wrote:nah sneaky were using armoured cars driving at full tilt at them now... apparently they run like hell when several tons of metal hurtles at them down the street.
Big cars aren't enough. You need to completely demoralize them. Seeing people next to you getting dropped by beanbags and writhing in agony will undoubtedly make a larger percentage of the opportunists rethink what they're doing.

Sure you can go for cheap scare tactics, or you can go for their hearts and minds.
its to break em up so the police can arrest em more easily. if the troubles get worse though they said they will bring in Baton rounds...

anyway our poilce should have paintball guns with permanant ink in the balls so they can catch anyone they hit with ease.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

mydrox

Post by mydrox » 09 Aug 2011, 15:52

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasserwerfer_10000
that is what you need. Buy them from us, we don't want them here ...

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 09 Aug 2011, 16:17

Drox we should just borrow your police force. that would scare the bloody hell out of these looters.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 09 Aug 2011, 17:47

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 09 Aug 2011, 17:48

excelent live coverage of it here at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -live.html

EDIT:

some gallows humor from a subway employee in manchester:
http://twitpic.com/63j8ia

EDIT2:

removed a line of text that made Lord frown ;)
Last edited by vallorn on 09 Aug 2011, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 09 Aug 2011, 18:17

vallorn wrote:god bless the telegraphs grasp of modern media. :)
Lol. I read the Daily Telegraph during the election on proportional representation. They did not impress me.

Shall I tell you what would improve our country, apart from shooting all the chavs? Finally understanding that we are no longer what we once were. The empire is dead, and this is not understood by any of our governments. We continue to pledge vast amounts of money to international projects that should be focused on improving the nation. No government can comprehend the fact that we are no longer an international behemoth like we used to be.

And vallorn, I am fed up of your absolute bias in every situation. You complain so strongly about the last Labour government, but David Cameron has focused on being exactly like them. There has been a massive focus on a centre position, and just like Lord Mountbatten, in his politically neutral way, said, Labour are useless but well-meaning, but the Conservatives are efficient yet completely detached from normal society, and far less well-meaning. I have followed their initiatives and seen the cold-heartedness they have displayed post-Blair. Blair was an absolute bastard, but that does not excuse the Conservative party.

And recently, both sides are the same. I am ashamed to be British because of their stupidity.

I don't care about a good university education - it has become increasingly evident that it does absolutely nothing. This government is almost as bad as the last one, and the toadyism of it disgusts me. (e.g. people like George Osbourne) If any of these idiots actually knew what they were doing these riots would never have happened.

Defend your precious government however you want. This country has not been ruled properly for many years. I will maintain my political neutrality, but I will not accept extreme amounts of bias.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 09 Aug 2011, 18:36

il concede that this is a poor government Lord but i refuse to belive that Labour are well meaning. they spent our money setting up ways for themselves to get a golden train ride into the sunset when they retired.

yes im Bias'd i know i am and i reflect it in the media i consume. i personally loath some of Cameron's and Osbournes stuff (international aid and refusal to overhaul the NHS into an insurance based system mostly) but from what i can see baring a new politician out of the blue they are the best hope we have of sorting out a dept crisis that the markets are terrified of. we have only just not been downgraded like the USA was so im grateful to them for that at least.

anyway my personal political philosophy is more closely based on Hayekian economic principles (as espoused by the Thatcher government) rather than the more modern practices. i believe in low regulation, small government and peoples liberty's. if you havent heard of him the book "Road To Serfdom" is one of his least economically based books but one of the easiest to understand because of it.

i wholeheartedly agree however with your assertion that we need to let go of our old world power status and turn our efforts more closley inwards to improve ourselves. many parts of our culture seem to revolve around misty eyed recolections of the world wars and the british empire. if we can put that behind us as a whole people and use what we have to better our nation then we could eventuraly regain some measure of our status but attempting to cling onto it in this state will doom us to faliure.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 09 Aug 2011, 18:57

It seems agreed that imperial romanticism is a pipe-dream that must be relegated to the unattainable past then. I will however address other issues.

First of all, I see Blair as the very type of person who has, through all of his evils, profited from what he has done. He retires as Prime Minister and then what? He becomes the official envoy to the Middle East for the United Kingdom. For a man who contributed to starting so much more trouble in that area, I felt a great insult had been made against not only our country, but to the world for such blatant audacity.

Gordon Brown on the other hand I had far more sympathy for. Perhaps because he was a media underdog and I generally despise the media. However, he was one of the only chancellors of the exchequer with any economic knowledge (everyone knows George Osbourne only has the position because he's David Cameron's best friend) and from my readings a diligent if dour Prime Minister. I still feel sorry for him, if not the uselessness of his administration, just like I feel sorry for John Major, who found himself in an admittedly difficult position after the departure of such a personality as Mrs. Thatcher's.

And since economically we are still faring poorly I will refrain from passing any judgement on the government, but only because I feel we'd be at this stage anyway no matter who was in charge, and because we are so reliant on the situation of the United States.

Though I feel I have still stuck to the neutrality I wish to maintain, I also feel I have spoken too much on political issues, and will not deign to further make any opinions of a political nature. I can only hope I have spoken fairly enough for it to be impossible for a political stance to be attributed to me.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 09 Aug 2011, 19:24

Hmm one last thing to end this is that i had never thought of Gordon Brown and John Major in that way.

From how i saw it they or their friends undermined great leaders in their respective parties to get them power then they had to pick up the pieces. A hard job to do while running a country.

However while Browns may have been diligent his economic policies seemed highly based on Keyneian works and so i cannot support many of them. Although some like the moving of the Bank Of England into an independent body i applaud as decentralization is usually a very good thing but his refusal to let the banks fail did not end the recession it merely caused the economy to drag on with dead weight which is why we are seeing less than 1% growth (i also attribute this to the reduction in the rate of increase in government spending and lack of targeted tax cuts to free money for investment).
If he had let the banks fail it would be very painful in the short term but people would be far more careful with assets in future which would decrease the chance of a repeat credit crunch.

and maybe these should be moved into Religion and Politics Lord?
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 09 Aug 2011, 19:29

vallorn wrote:and maybe these should be moved into Religion and Politics Lord?
Er, *coughcough*, riots, grr.

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 09 Aug 2011, 22:19

SachielOne wrote: A democracy deploys its military against its own people only with the greatest of care. In most Western countries, this deployment requires some kind of act of parliament, or the invocation of the War Measures Act (at least, that's what we call it here in Canada). This is typically reserved for dire situations, such as an organized, armed uprising against the government.
I see a problem here... Canada. ;D

I am willing to bet a large amount, or a sizable one atleast, of the population of London is very filled with angst. So when a few people were getting rough with a peaceful protest, that was the straw that broke the Vallorn's back, as they say in some parts of the world. So it is no longer people outraged by the police. While the vocal ones may have a problem with government or the police. It is filled with people who just want to fight and cause a problem.

Also, my solution for riot control is high powered super soakers and many many water balloons.

Post by 697134002 » 09 Aug 2011, 22:37

MrWhales wrote:
SachielOne wrote: A democracy deploys its military against its own people only with the greatest of care. In most Western countries, this deployment requires some kind of act of parliament, or the invocation of the War Measures Act (at least, that's what we call it here in Canada). This is typically reserved for dire situations, such as an organized, armed uprising against the government.

I am willing to bet a large amount, or a sizable one atleast, of the population of London is very filled with angst. So when a few people were getting rough with a peaceful protest, that was the straw that broke the Vallorn's back, as they say in some parts of the world. So it is no longer people outraged by the police. While the vocal ones may have a problem with government or the police. It is filled with people who just want to fight and cause a problem.

Also, my solution for riot control is high powered super soakers and many many water balloons.
My solution for riot control is high powered speakers and many many loopings of Friday.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 09 Aug 2011, 22:51

697134002 wrote:My solution for riot control is high powered speakers and many many loopings of Friday.
My god, we're not trying to massacre them!

Post by 697134002 » 09 Aug 2011, 23:04

Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:
697134002 wrote:My solution for riot control is high powered speakers and many many loopings of Friday.
Niccolò Machiavelli wrote:Upon this, one has to remark that men ought either to be well treated or crushed, because they can avenge themselves of lighter injuries, of more serious ones they cannot; therefore the injury that is to be done to a man ought to be of such a kind that one does not stand in fear of revenge.
Wikiquotes is a useful website...
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

SachielOne
Site Contributor

Post by SachielOne » 10 Aug 2011, 01:39

MrWhales wrote:
Hey, the one time we invoked that act during peacetime, we had domestic terrorists running around blowing stuff up. That's the sort of situation that calls for the deployment of the military.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Crisis has more details on the events I'm talking about.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 10 Aug 2011, 02:34

Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:
we arnt? hmm may want to cancel the orders for those Mongoose launchers... :lol:
Mongoose.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 10 Aug 2011, 06:01

SachielOne wrote:
MrWhales wrote:
Hey, the one time we invoked that act during peacetime, we had domestic terrorists running around blowing stuff up. That's the sort of situation that calls for the deployment of the military.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Crisis has more details on the events I'm talking about.
That'd be the most obvious time to do it sach :P

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 10 Aug 2011, 06:35

1312969266191.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

Pinmissile
Retired

Post by Pinmissile » 12 Aug 2011, 10:47

I like Tony Blair because his ears look funny.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 12 Aug 2011, 12:31

Pinmissile wrote:I like Tony Blair because his ears look funny.
Current events!

jonnybo72

Post by jonnybo72 » 13 Aug 2011, 00:59

how did this start?
(\ /)
( ._. )
(V V)
FRIGGIN BUNNY

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 13 Aug 2011, 04:09

the riots? some guy got shot by the police under dubious circumstances. some people did a peaceful protest about it.

then some people decided to use it as an excuse to riot and loot in tottenham and then seeing that the police were on the back foot loads of other people copied them the next night.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

KaosuHamoni

Post by KaosuHamoni » 14 Aug 2011, 05:56

vallorn wrote:the riots? some guy got shot by the police under dubious circumstances. some people did a peaceful protest about it.

then some people decided to use it as an excuse to riot and loot in tottenham and then seeing that the police were on the back foot loads of other people copied them the next night.
Sort of but not really. A known criminal was shot, and a peaceful protest was then held outside a police station. The police were refusing to answer, and, later, another crowd returned, at which point a 16 year old girl asked questions of a specific officer. He then pushed her to the ground. and and of the nearby police drew their batons, and attacked her.
"The artist is the creator of beautiful things" -Oscar Wilde

michaeld20

Post by michaeld20 » 14 Aug 2011, 06:03

There animals, In all my life, I have never seen police go as far as to slap someone. They BEAT Someone, That just is not right. The last time i had heard about brutality like that, Was the Vancouver riots.
"Some people in this world, they think their invincible... well thats just not true... beacause if you make just ONE mistake it could all end in a matter of seconds and then really how invincible are you?"- Myself

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 16 Aug 2011, 09:04

Still no excuse to go around, destroying other peoples' property and workplaces. They're no better than the people they are "protesting". In fact, they are much, much worse.

ojamamask

Post by ojamamask » 16 Aug 2011, 11:00

Me: Hey vegeta, what does the news say about the amount of arrest.

Vegeta: It's over nine thous......just kidding, it's only over 2,000

SachielOne
Site Contributor

Post by SachielOne » 16 Aug 2011, 13:11

KaosuHamoni wrote:...at which point a 16 year old girl asked questions of a specific officer. He then pushed her to the ground. and and of the nearby police drew their batons, and attacked her.
Right. The police are really that stupid. I'm gonna have to put a "Citation Needed" tag on that one.