Fallout 1 free (Update: This is now over, not free anymore)

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
Milo_Windby
Retired

Fallout 1 free (Update: This is now over, not free anymore)

Post by Milo_Windby » 06 Apr 2012, 10:36

Nope, this is not a pirate thread... Currently for the next 48 hours on Good ol Gamer (http://www.gog.com) you can get Fallout for free. Once you make an account (or if you have one already) it will go into your account and you will be able to download it whenever you want.

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

andy25100
Retired

Re: Fallout 1 free

Post by andy25100 » 06 Apr 2012, 12:16

I already own the first one but i got it anyway as it is always good to have another copy just in case.
"They'll tear you apart, bone by bone... ...and build with you a human throne. Their buck- toothed king will sit upon What once was you, but now is gone. This key unlocks the gates of Hell. Steady traveler, use it well." - Grim Fandango - Poem of the Flaming Demon Beavers

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 06 Apr 2012, 22:20

Awww yeah, free downloadable interesting story wrapped in one of my least favourite combat systems ever.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 07 Apr 2012, 05:29

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:Awww yeah, free downloadable interesting story wrapped in one of my least favourite combat systems ever.
I thought that was Morrowind's system.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 07 Apr 2012, 05:41

Morrowind has my least favourite first person perspective combat system ever. It is the one thing preventing me from playing it properly (well, that and it's not next up to be played).

Fallout 1 and 2 have my least favourite isometric perspective combat system ever. I can live with old graphics but not paired with such a bad combat system (which I learned was thrown together at the last minute because the guys working on the combat system before pulled out near the end of the project. You can tell how last minute it is because of how much it sucks).

SachielOne
Site Contributor

Post by SachielOne » 07 Apr 2012, 11:21

Lord is right about that one. The combat system originally used the GURPS rule set, but Steve Jackson Games pulled out at the last minute because they were uncomfortable with Fallout's black humor and violence. The team had to rebuild the entire rules system from scratch in the span of about a week.

That said, given the amount of time they had, I found it turned out rather well.

Fallout 2's problems were less about the engine, and more about Interplay's collapse. The company folded before FO2 could be fully patched, leaving a whole bunch of bugs in the game. There were entire special encounters that had to be locked out because they were that broken. Certain endings (like the good ending for Gecko) would not play at the end, regardless of what you did. And god help you if you try to play the game without the fan patch on any computer made in the last 10 years. Something about the way they programmed it, (which I will not get in to here) meant that the faster your computer was, the fewer random encounters you'd find on the world map. I was able to go on foot from one end of the map to the other without running in to anything other than the scripted first encounter with Frank Horrigan.

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 07 Apr 2012, 13:22

I got out of the vault cave then almost immediately got killed by a raiding party...
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |