Dwarf Fortress

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
vallorn

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by vallorn » 17 Jan 2011, 10:30

Blackadder51 wrote:
tehbeard wrote:http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/ is an excellent (if lengthy) article on how to play Dwarf fortress the correct way.
I just read that, oh my :)
now you know where our Project FTW comes from :D
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 18 Jan 2011, 00:46

Im learning this.

I don't care how long it takes.

I have spent the last 45hrs6hrs looking at god knows what. I think ill stick to minecraft.

WHATEVER IT TAKES

After 11hrs. I have learned how to dig.

:/

FTS

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 18 Jan 2011, 05:01

Blackadder51 wrote:Im learning this.

I have spent the last 4hrs looking at god knows what. I think ill stick to minecraft.
well ive managed to get to "The Circus OF DOOM!" in the game... god those "Clowns" are tough...
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 18 Jan 2011, 16:54

My Carpenter is either retarded or extremly lazy. I told him to make some beds so he ran to the carpenter workshop and is sitting there complaining about the lack of wood even though there is wood in a stockpile nearby. I think I may just have to dispose of him and get another dwarf....

Edit: never mind, it turns out I sealed him off with the workshop. So he was slowly starving to death :D . Good thing I realized it. And I got a master tanner from migrants...

Playeroftau

Post by Playeroftau » 18 Jan 2011, 17:27

Blackadder check out this guy's stuff, now all of it applies now, but most of it's still good.
http://www.youtube.com/user/captnduck

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 18 Jan 2011, 20:52

I have spent the last 45hrs6hrs looking at god knows what. I think ill stick to minecraft.

WHATEVER IT TAKES

FTS
Wow, thats a bit longer than me... but it took me almost a week to figure out how to place buildings. Now I am sure I will make a good fortress, already struck platinum(It was at the surface, but who cares). Of course I don't know what I need so my dwarfs will put in the rock salt bridge.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 19 Jan 2011, 07:12

WHATEVER IT TAKES

FTS
look up some help on the MagmaWiki... they have some good starter guides on there if your having problems.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 19 Jan 2011, 07:14

I cant grasp it for some reason, if this was controlled with mouse maybe ill get it, but it just doesn't connect to be honest.

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

rembrandtq
Site Contributor

Post by rembrandtq » 20 Jan 2011, 16:45

Glad to see people are still trying

The game is great, I started playing DDO again so I'm not DFing any longer but I know how to set up a kick ass fortress. Including a 40 high stack of pumps to flood the caverns with magma, take that cave crocodiles!

Tehbeard

Post by Tehbeard » 21 Jan 2011, 14:25

vallorn wrote: heres a cartooned LP: http://www.timdenee.com/oilfurnace/
"BOATMURDERED II - Death by zombie elephants. "

I am currently typing from the floor while I have fits of laughter from reading that statement.

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 21 Jan 2011, 17:49

The elves sent merchants to me, whom I brutally murdered since a wave of 19 migrants came when my fortress was starving. Should I expect some FUN to come my way?
Edit: Read up on it, and appearently I should kill more elves to get fun! My miltia commander punched both their heads in :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by superglitch on 21 Jan 2011, 18:28, edited 2 times in total.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 21 Jan 2011, 17:56

tehbeard wrote:
vallorn wrote: heres a cartooned LP: http://www.timdenee.com/oilfurnace/
"BOATMURDERED II - Death by zombie elephants. "

I am currently typing from the floor while I have fits of laughter from reading that statement.

however looking back it was that Doomsday Device setting fire to a catapault that killed Boatmurdered I.

the Elephants just made everything worse.
Last edited by vallorn on 22 Jan 2011, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Callex
Site Contributor

Post by Callex » 22 Jan 2011, 07:00

Well, I've finally got the hang of this.

The trick is to have the DF wiki a permanent tab in your browser whilst playing. Do a search for every. single. feature. that you want to use. It's far more comprehensive than the in-game help. (and easier to navigate)

I've currently got 150 dwarves in my humble kingdom, although most of them sleep on the floor.
Dwarf Fortress Screenshot.jpg
Here's a snippet from one of the levels. Upper right is farming/irrigation, centre = trade/craft quarter, to the far right you can just about see my water supply, and to the left lies dwarven housing.

I think I'll start a new fortress now that I know what I'm doing, make everything a bit tidier/efficient :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stratavarius

Post by Stratavarius » 22 Jan 2011, 07:48

superglitch wrote:The elves sent merchants to me, whom I brutally murdered since a wave of 19 migrants came when my fortress was starving. Should I expect some FUN to come my way?
Edit: Read up on it, and appearently I should kill more elves to get fun! My miltia commander punched both their heads in :D
One of my favorite forts was one where I embarked on a glacier trying to build an ice fortress, and then feral elves came and sacked my camp. It was actually pretty funny, I don't think I had even had the encampment up for 2 years by that point.

And yeah, the big thing is getting the controls down. Once you do that, usually people will just start a new fort and map out how their going to lay out their fortress since you really need to screw up and get the hang of things before you realize how to make things more efficient and not crappy looking.

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 22 Jan 2011, 17:12

Stratavarius wrote:
superglitch wrote:The elves sent merchants to me, whom I brutally murdered since a wave of 19 migrants came when my fortress was starving. Should I expect some FUN to come my way?
One of my favorite forts was one where I embarked on a glacier trying to build an ice fortress, and then feral elves came and sacked my camp. It was actually pretty funny, I don't think I had even had the encampment up for 2 years by that point.

And yeah, the big thing is getting the controls down. Once you do that, usually people will just start a new fort and map out how their going to lay out their fortress since you really need to screw up and get the hang of things before you realize how to make things more efficient and not crappy looking.
Killing the elves gave me tons of stuff, but i need to get a chair because my manager doesn't have an office and I have too many dwarves... Good thing it's autumn now.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 22 Jan 2011, 17:26

okay... i used to play DF on my school PC (they had it to teach us some programming but not many of us got it...)

now i cant get the freaking thing to work... i downloaded the ZIP file and managed to figure out that i had to click on all those .dlll ETC files then start but now its saying its locked... i hate this... can someone give me an instal guide for this?

i just want to torture play with my dwarves again.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 24 Jan 2011, 19:05

I ran into a problem: my manager doesn't have an office, I have no chairs, and I have about 46 dwarves, so I can't order any chairs to be built. Other than slaughtering about half of my dwarves, what can I do?

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 24 Jan 2011, 20:41

vallorn wrote:okay... i used to play DF on my school PC (they had it to teach us some programming but not many of us got it...)

now i cant get the freaking thing to work... i downloaded the ZIP file and managed to figure out that i had to click on all those .dlll ETC files then start but now its saying its locked... i hate this... can someone give me an instal guide for this?

i just want to torture play with my dwarves again.

Silly Me! i needed to Extract em into a NonZip folder! I CAN RULE MY DWARVES WITH A FIST OF ADAMANTIUM ONCE MORE!
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 25 Jan 2011, 15:36

Well, One of my metal smiths decided to get possesed. The one problem? I have no metal bars. So I am desperatly trying to get some and send my miltia to "protect" her. Maybe I should just put a cage trap outside of the workshop....

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 29 Jan 2012, 11:41

(Hey look at that a year a 3 days necro, sorry bout this)

Ok so i've been thinking about getting this game for a long while and as we speak i've just downloaded the game so obviously I have no idea how to play, what to do and who (if anyone) to kill...

Could anyone be of assistance? I'm assuming vallorn's gonna be the best help as he's got the most dwarf fortress related posts on the entire forum
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 29 Jan 2012, 11:43

All I know is that it's supposed to be pretty rough getting into. Good luck.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 29 Jan 2012, 14:13

to lead you through it would spoil most of the Fun of figuring it out yourself. on the other hand try googling for starter guids and read the Dwarf Fortress wiki for more stuff. :)
OI YOU!
YES YOU!