Terraria

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
Stickeeee

Terraria

Post by Stickeeee » 14 Dec 2011, 18:32

whatt do u hink about terraria or skyrim (i might get skyrim)

Re: Terraria

Post by 697134002 » 14 Dec 2011, 18:34

What the...
Board Index » Games and Reviews » Team Fortress 2
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

XDelphi

Post by XDelphi » 14 Dec 2011, 18:36

Yeah, I'm moving this.
Meet the Staff | Worlds Apart | The Imperial City | Server & Forum Rules | The Store
"What are the odds of two elusive pastries?" - MKindy on his theory of conspiracy

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 14 Dec 2011, 19:40

I hope you're not comparing them since Terraria's clearly the superior game! /sarcasm
*cough*

Terraria's ok... it lost charm after you kill like the 3 bosses and then mine the rest of the stuff. No end game or replay value since it'll just be the same tedious process over and over. Atleast in minecraft you can create an unlimited ammount of contraptions with redstone, pistons, etc.

Skyrim, of course, is undoubtedly one of the hottest games out there, for good reason too. Replay value relies on it’s skill tree leveling system and if you’re not playing to get *max synergy* between skills and whatnot, mixing abilities to create unique game styles will open doors to different, challenging fun … stuff… and umm… what were we talking about again ?
You cannot say it doesn't exist if you haven't seen it. ~Zinrius

random980

Post by random980 » 14 Dec 2011, 23:34

Zinrius wrote:I hope you're not comparing them since Terraria's clearly the superior game! /sarcasm
*cough*

Terraria's ok... it lost charm after you kill like the 3 bosses and then mine the rest of the stuff. No end game or replay value since it'll just be the same tedious process over and over. Atleast in minecraft you can create an unlimited ammount of contraptions with redstone, pistons, etc.

Skyrim, of course, is undoubtedly one of the hottest games out there, for good reason too. Replay value relies on it’s skill tree leveling system and if you’re not playing to get *max synergy* between skills and whatnot, mixing abilities to create unique game styles will open doors to different, challenging fun … stuff… and umm… what were we talking about again ?
Actually Terraria recently had a MASSIVE update. Crap load of new enemies (including 4 new bosses) and an even bigger amount of new items were added aswell. Also the corrupted zones now reach into the earth making corrupted caves and such (instead of JUST huge holes) Im thinking about going back to it to check it all out. Oh and skyrim is probably a great buy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 14 Dec 2011, 23:36

random980 wrote:
Zinrius wrote:I hope you're not comparing them since Terraria's clearly the superior game! /sarcasm
*cough*

Actually Terraria recently had a MASSIVE update. Crap load of new enemies (including 4 new bosses) and an even bigger amount of new items were added aswell. Also the corrupted zones now reach into the earth making corrupted caves and such (instead of JUST huge holes) Im thinking about going back to it to check it all out. Oh and skyrim is probably a great buy
4 new bosses ? New enemies ? holy cow ! I must check it out! ;-D I love me some zombie survival.
You cannot say it doesn't exist if you haven't seen it. ~Zinrius

mydrox

Post by mydrox » 15 Dec 2011, 01:00

Also a hardcore mode

Darktaint
Retired

Post by Darktaint » 15 Dec 2011, 03:06

Zinrius wrote:
random980 wrote:
*cough*

4 new bosses ? New enemies ? holy cow ! I must check it out! ;-D I love me some zombie survival.
Been there, done it, get ready to have your arse handed to you as soon as you enter hardmode. :> You've been warned
A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. - Gandalf the Grey

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 29 Dec 2011, 20:02

Darktaint wrote: Been there, done it, get ready to have your arse handed to you as soon as you enter hardmode. :> You've been warned
To somebody currently getting their arse kicked by hardmode which of the new bosses would you suggest going after first? I tried Skeletron Prime and got owned.
The staff here are all trolls

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 30 Dec 2011, 01:32

None of them.. they're all very difficult.

I hear the Destroyer is the easiest of the four, and there are many strategies to choose from for fighting the Twins. But they are still very, very hard to fight. Get yourself some wings, though (kill harpies for the feathers, Wyverns for the Souls of Flight, and enemies underground in the Corruption/Hallow for the Souls of Night/Light). Those are very useful.

Darktaint
Retired

Post by Darktaint » 30 Dec 2011, 06:25

Jake55778 wrote:
Darktaint wrote: Been there, done it, get ready to have your arse handed to you as soon as you enter hardmode. :> You've been warned
To somebody currently getting their arse kicked by hardmode which of the new bosses would you suggest going after first? I tried Skeletron Prime and got owned.

Build yourself a run way made of hellstone, remove obby skull you take 1 damage per couple of seconds from the hellstone and become invincible against all other damage kill all hardcore bosses that way.
A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. - Gandalf the Grey

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 30 Dec 2011, 10:53

I already have the wings, and the hellstone thing didn't work. I just took damage from the hellstone and the boss.

Darktaint
Retired

Post by Darktaint » 30 Dec 2011, 12:58

Jake55778 wrote:I already have the wings, and the hellstone thing didn't work. I just took damage from the hellstone and the boss.
bets thing i can think of it to get a couple people to help you out then.
I'm happy to :)

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 30 Dec 2011, 21:09

I may have to. Feels almost impossible on my own. Although I'm sure part of it is that I'm trying to play on a laptop's trackpad rather then my usual keyboard+mouse.

The annoying thing is that I think my gear is pretty much as good as I can get without the boss drops. There's not much I can go farm that'll make things any easier. At least that I know of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 30 Dec 2011, 22:42

Somehow I came upon wealth in the numbers of 500+ platinum coins (not sure how, probably was a glitch in my world). Next week I'll host up a server and give you some, then you can go reforge everything you can until it's Godly, or in your accessories' case, whichever grants you the highest defense. I wear Cobalt armor but have enough defense from accessories to get me around 45, so that'll boost you a little bit.

While we're at it, a few friends and I may as well help you fight the bosses. Should I add you on Steam?

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 30 Dec 2011, 23:21

500 platinum?! :shock: That's just insane.

Some co-op boss slaying sounds fun.

Darktaint
Retired

Post by Darktaint » 31 Dec 2011, 07:29

I'll join you guys too. I have full ada armour, a flame thrower 5 light disks wings :D

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 31 Dec 2011, 23:08

Hmm I just had an idea. One of those ones that rides the line between genious and stupidity.

What if I constructed a massive monster arena, and lined the top with hundreds of boulders in rows wired up to one or more pressure pads below. Only really suitable for the destroyer, since it's so large it can't dodge. But at 60-150 (base) damage per boulder they could do some major damage en masse.

If there are any gapping flaws in this plan please feel free to point them out. (I get the distinct impression this might not be as brilliant an idea as my sleep deprived brain seems to think it is)

random980

Post by random980 » 01 Jan 2012, 00:22

Jake55778 wrote:Hmm I just had an idea. One of those ones that rides the line between genious and stupidity.

What if I constructed a massive monster arena, and lined the top with hundreds of boulders in rows wired up to one or more pressure pads below. Only really suitable for the destroyer, since it's so large it can't dodge. But at 60-150 (base) damage per boulder they could do some major damage en masse.

If there are any gapping flaws in this plan please feel free to point them out. (I get the distinct impression this might not be as brilliant an idea as my sleep deprived brain seems to think it is)
Found a flaw sir, wont the boulders also crush you? and how are you going to pile enough boulders into one column so that they do enough damage, to actually be helpful against a boss, once released?
Best bet is to make a battle field (one long flat stretch of land) and have a few active heart statues on said battlefield.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 01 Jan 2012, 01:04

random980 wrote: Found a flaw sir, wont the boulders also crush you? and how are you going to pile enough boulders into one column so that they do enough damage, to actually be helpful against a boss, once released?
Best bet is to make a battle field (one long flat stretch of land) and have a few active heart statues on said battlefield.
Okay I completed my test run. I avoided taking damage from the boulders by hiding under some blocks. Unfortunately ~100 boulders only did around 5000 damage to the Destroyer. Not all of them hit, and it has quite a bit of defense. There's room for more boulders, but it's probably not worth it for the damage. It's a nice opening volley, but it's not gonna win the fight.

I only have one heart statue, but if you trap your nurse in blocks just off to the side of where you're fighting she'll provide a great source of healing for as long as she survives.

*edit*
Tried it again. This time the boulders did 20,000 damage. They roll when they land, so it's very dependent on what angle the destroyer passes through them. With more boulders and a perfect angle this might actually be viable.

*Second edit of glorious victory*
I BEAT THE DESTROYER!

Stickiey

Post by Stickiey » 17 Feb 2012, 18:16

wow im stickeeee's alt i never thought this post would get far

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 01 Apr 2012, 14:46

Sorry for the thread necro, but I figured this was worth sharing. I started a new world this evening with an (almost) new character and got THIS as my starting location:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.