Opinions about Black Ops?

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
JosephLee

Opinions about Black Ops?

Post by JosephLee » 09 Dec 2010, 00:20

I was wondering what other people thought of Black Ops. Post your opinion and why. Here's what I think:

Overall, Black Ops is a much more fun and balanced game, but has some issues:

PROS:
Great Customization
No more noobtubers or quick-scopers (makes game much more fun for people who don't use them)
Moving objects in maps (rocket, closing/ opening doors in floor)
No more painkiller (frees up that other perk slot)
Fun secondary weapons (crossbow, knife, python with ACOG)
Shotguns toned-down (no more insta-kills within 15 feet)
Assists are now based on how much damage give (from 20-80)
ZOMBIES!

CONS:
LMGs seem underpowered (at least first 3 do)
Rockets seem to miss aircraft a lot
RCXD is slightly overpowered
Spawning system often puts enemy players directly behind you
Nearly constant lag if not the host (good thing I'm host most of the time)
No non-explosive crossbow (explosions does NOT equal stealth)
Only one attachment for SPAS (a silencer... Really? Whats the point...)
Lobbies often crash and hosts often drop out

As you can see, my "review" is all about the multiplayer. I don't want to judge the campaign untill I complete it.
My house= Outside east gate past Crossroads Mall. While not as impressive as some of the others, it's made out of OBSIDIAN.

junkmanuk

Re: Opinions about Black Ops?

Post by junkmanuk » 09 Dec 2010, 04:21

I'm more into Arma II style simulation... black ops et al are all too run-and-gun for me... :)

No noobtubers is a good thing though those and sniper campers were the main annoyance I had with the genre.

filmmakermennona

Post by filmmakermennona » 11 Dec 2010, 08:55

I do not know about you but the three zombie maps they got in there is worth it! :P I would buy a game all about Nazi Zombies. But i agree, most guns are over/under powered. I'd rate Black Ops a 7 out of 10.

itbarany

Post by itbarany » 11 Dec 2010, 10:29

Sniping in general is quite hard in it. I don't approve of that.

It was always a bit hard to master but after that you could dominate quite easily, which you should have, since you worked for it. As I see it now, only the best snipers can actually get things done, the news will switch class.

Single player is very scripted (I hope you've seen the video of the guy who walks through Cuba with fireing only 2 shots, since those are necessary), the optimalization is garbage (MW2 and MW runs fine for me, this is rubbish) not to mention the fact that I hate the menu layout. How can you screw up a menu?

I played cod from since I grew up, from zero till now. When my dad showed up with the Black Ops disc I just couldn't give a crap any more... It's kinda sad, I really wish I knew what screwed it up for me...
Unhappy is he to whom the memories of childhood bring only fear and sadness.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Outsider"

comet1

Post by comet1 » 24 Dec 2010, 08:27

I really liked black opps especially online and the singlepayer
zombies wayyy!!!!! better then world at war :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Comet isnt that bad a guy he gives out free gold and kills greifers - random player
I never killed no greifer - comet1

GrimX9

Post by GrimX9 » 25 Dec 2010, 15:12

Pros: More money into the video game business.
Cons: Call of Duty

Very few FPS'es are really fun anymore, least of all call of duty, black ops. I enjoy a tactical and strategic fps, not a run and gun and stabbing game.

comet1

Post by comet1 » 27 Dec 2010, 17:34

You would like BC2 8-)
Comet isnt that bad a guy he gives out free gold and kills greifers - random player

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 28 Dec 2010, 10:50

comet1 wrote:You would like BC2 8-)
yeah. Sniping people out of helicopter cockpits NEVER gets old! (nor does bringing down a building on top of said sniper)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

comet1

Post by comet1 » 28 Dec 2010, 15:55

I love the attack helicopters in atacampa dessert :)

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 28 Dec 2010, 16:39

comet1 wrote:I love the attack helicopters in atacampa dessert :)
then i give you... Heavy Metal... its like Atacama Desert only better! (it has two helis for each side, 2 tanks for each side and is easily one of the largest maps in the game (it take a while to traverse even in a Heilo)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

comet1

Post by comet1 » 28 Dec 2010, 16:55

I will check it out thanks

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 28 Dec 2010, 18:46

I'm one of those old-fashioned people who says balls to the multiplayer and the Nazi Zombies. Multiplayer because I hate people, Nazi Zombies because I only ever find the initial premise amusing, but get bored of the actual gameplay quickly.

So yes, I'm the creep who plays Call of Duty games for the singleplayer campaigns only. Although I loved the first game's expansion pack's multiplayer.

My opinion of the Black Ops campaign: I rather liked it. Then again, I rather liked MW2's (yes, the plot wasn't very lucid, original, or realistic, but fuck that - the sheer ballsiness of the level of OTT it displayed make up for it). Plot was clichéd, but what plot isn't in a way? Very much enjoyed it.

thonnas_hp

Post by thonnas_hp » 28 Dec 2010, 20:45

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:Multiplayer because I hate people...
That's one of the reasons I enjoy blowing people up and taking their heads off (in multiplayer games in general. I don't play Black Ops.).

Killing computer AIs is rarely satisfying, with a few exceptions.
I've gotta funny feelin' that my times are caught in a jar.
Thonnas_HP, aka |:|Falcon|:| (steamid: paxbrevis)

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 29 Dec 2010, 16:02

Lord_Mountbatten wrote: Multiplayer because I hate people
the mute button and a a sniper rifle are your friend... that and mortar strikes.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

adidaspray

Post by adidaspray » 18 Jan 2011, 15:15

There's not much else to say but Black Ops razzledazzles MW2

Knife_28

Post by Knife_28 » 12 Apr 2011, 20:42

Call of Duty: Black Ops? I think You've misspelt it, it's Call of Cutie: Blank Ops, see.
I only feel the way that I'm programed, and most of the time that's not to give a damn.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 18 Apr 2011, 15:57

Well, well, who revived this thread? I haven't posted as JosephLee in at least 4 months.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 02 Jan 2012, 15:16

Was attempting to play this on Veteran. There's a tunnel in the Baikonur mission in which you get confronted with infinitely respawning enemies, grenades, and horrifically unsympathetic checkpoints. This is exactly what happened the last time I tried this, and I was stuck then too.

Cheap way to make things more difficult. I finished WaW on Veteran and it took me a few weeks to remove the constant lolwut face it had given me.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 02 Jan 2012, 17:10

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:Was attempting to play this on Veteran. There's a tunnel in the Baikonur mission in which you get confronted with infinitely respawning enemies, grenades, and horrifically unsympathetic checkpoints. This is exactly what happened the last time I tried this, and I was stuck then too.

Cheap way to make things more difficult. I finished WaW on Veteran and it took me a few weeks to remove the constant lolwut face it had given me.
thats the bit when your chasing through the missile base right lord? yeah i hated that too. :(
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 02 Jan 2012, 18:59

The multiplayer for this game is absolutely atrocious. If there's one thing they did right with Modern Warfare 2 (and there isn't), it was the multiplayer. But Treyarch set themselves up for failure with Black Ops, it's just terrible.

The weapon unlock system was the worst idea they've had since the Modern Warfare franchise (seeing a pattern here?). After the first week of release (note I bought the game about a month after it came out), there is no way to catch up, let alone get ahead. It doesn't help that they have done nothing to remedy this, and have wholly abandoned the game as of late.

/rant
/thread

EDIT: The campaign was great despite being as scripted as it was. Treyarch actually knows how to write a story, whereas Infinity Ward campaigns are composed of "lol download this, lol get to the chopper, lol stereotypical gruff silent team-member wears skull mask and is burnt alive". I was able to play Alex Mason as if I were actually him, and the missions were intense and provided a variety of action (my personal favorite was the Kowloon City mission). The brainwashing plot was also particularly enjoyable to me, but maybe that's because I've always been interested in that sort of thing.

DuplicateValue
Retired

Post by DuplicateValue » 02 Jan 2012, 19:29

aflycon wrote:The weapon unlock system was the worst idea they've had since the Modern Warfare franchise
Uh, the first Modern Warfare was probably one of the more important releases in the FPS genre in the last decade. Its popularity dragged shooters away from WW2, which had become the normal setting for them up until then. I'm not saying modern settings weren't seen before that, but they weren't as popular as they are now.

Not only that, but it was a more than solid game, both online and single player. It's still one of the best multiplayer games I've played (or at least one of my favourites).
I do agree that COD games since then have just been attempts to recapture that success though.

"He's like fire, and ice, and rage.
He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
And... he's wonderful."

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 02 Jan 2012, 19:50

I did enjoy the first Modern Warfare, but the other two have done enough to totally drown that success in.. well, MW2 and 3.

The first's setting and gameplay was remarkable, but not enough to overshadow the others' lack thereof. It was a fine game, but could've been so much more - Modern Warfare was like opening a door with a crowbar or kicking it in, as opposed to using a key; even with what it had, it was a shadow of what could've been. I'm not saying there was really much wrong with it, as it was "more than solid" as you said.

I had something else to say, but I forgot it. In short, I agree with you Dupe. The game could've opened the door to a good Modern Warfare 2 and 3, but instead it broke it down and rushed the other two into failure.

EDIT: I suspect Infinity Ward Call of Duty games continue to receive good ratings because of the high-octane campaign moments and multiplayer, both of which are blatantly recycled and negligibly altered ("A new and improved multiplayer!" sound familiar?). So, they've found a recipe for success. That's fine, but they're no longer making good games. They're taking what they already had, switching the campaign around and renaming a few people, adding a gun or two and reselling it. It's still fun? Granted, but I suppose I just read deeper into it than most.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 02 Jan 2012, 20:22

I'm not really sure what you mean by the multiplayer in Black Ops being so bad. I had no trouble "catching up" a month after the release. I think it's a better balanced game than MW2 ever was. In MW2, the only way to win was grenade launchers, quickscoping, or knifing with commando pro.

Idk, to me MW2 seemed like a game based solely on speed instead of planning. In Black Ops, I use the so called "weak" weapons and still do well because of map knowledge and outsmarting the enemy.

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 02 Jan 2012, 20:36

Perhaps I'm not as good of an FPSer as I like to think. I had a lot of trouble getting anywhere in the multiplayer, but it also may have been because the game was unpatched and therefore buggy and unbalanced as hell when I bought it. After Microsoft questionably cleared my save data (I had nearly prestiged once and was coming close to catching up with friends), I stopped playing the multiplayer.

Edit: I forgot to mention the fun game modes like One in the Chamber and whatever those other two are. The gambling was a fun idea but once you lost enough you couldn't get back on your feet; however, these game modes provided an actual challenge and balanced multiplayer more than the default did.

To balance this out, I noted that I hated just about all of the maps (with Firing Range being the one exception, that was a fun one).

Edit 2: Now I'm remembering, I had a lot of fun with Gun Game. That was a great idea on Treyarch's part and for a while was my favorite part of the game.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 02 Jan 2012, 23:38

Right. Yeah, gun game was quite fun. I like Sticks and Stones too, good practice for my tomahawking skills in normal multiplayer.