Battlefield 3 Impression

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Battlefield 3 Impression

Post by SneakyPie » 27 Sep 2011, 20:12

So I have played about 90 minutes of the BF3 Beta. It's pretty good.

The Bad
Origin isn't actually all that bad. All it is for BF3 is really just a link that takes you to a web page. The webpage thing they have going is pretty stupid though. Basically everything you're used to, such as a server browser and unlocks, are all located on the page. When you want to play a game you launch it from the webpage.

What was incredibly infuriating was that I had to wait until I had deployed my soldier in a match to finally adjust any graphical settings or change my key bindings. There is no menu outside the game (at least that I could find) that allows you to alter settings. I have no idea why they would want to separate the server browser from the game. It felt awkward and weird.

They are really pushing a social media aspect with BF3 as well. Friends lists are integrated into the webpage as well. You can review matches that either you or friends have done and comment on them.

You can only do Rush Mode in the Beta. I'm not a huge fan of this mode because it encourages more camping rather than teamwork. I wish there was Conquest available. In the several games I played in there was little teamwork with many people favoring Recon classes and camping. This is absolutely awful on the first part of the Rush map, especially if you're attacking. Once you get beyond that initial part it gets a lot better.

One minor annoyance is that I'm used to my middle-mouse being me melee, but it's default bound to F. Upon trying to rebind it, the game did not recognize middle-mouse.

Another gripe is that you have no control over which squad you get placed into. You can leave a squad but only choose the option to be placed in one again at random.

The Good
Once you progress a bit and game some ranks and get kills with your weapon of choice, you get a plethora of weapon customization options. Anything ranging from grips, sights, lasers, etc. And equipping them, I notice, really do make a difference.

So far in terms of weaponry, I favor the the Engineer's gear a lot. Their guns feel the most accurate for me while still packing a significant punch. Oh, snipers are also really, really easy to spot due to lens glare from their scopes.

The game is very pretty. I have a decent system, but I still had to turn some things down and the quality was still very good. Some very good visual effects as well. Building and cover destruction is quite nice.

The sound is orgasmic.

I had a lot of fun. It was a little overwhelming at first, but you get the hang of things a round or two in. I think I played somewhere around the number of ten rounds and eventually I was coming at least in the top five on my team consecutively. It will get better once you get friends playing with you and squadding up.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Re: Battlefield 3 Impression

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 27 Sep 2011, 22:07

I've been playing a lot of Bad Company 2, but I never play Rush, so I'm kinda screwed. I'm with you Sneaky, I think Rush just encourages people to sit back with sniper rifles, instead of actually capping and defending points like you do in Conquest.

I can't wait to play, only two more days for me. :D
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

lionheart_1
Site Contributor

Post by lionheart_1 » 28 Sep 2011, 10:16

I'll add a few impressions as well.

Subjecting opposing players to suppressive fire is nice, since you get points for doing so. Being subjected to supressive fire, with your screen hazing up, bullets whizzing pass you and explosions (oh god, I love the explosions) going off is not so fun.

All of the guns I've tried so far feel very satisfying. And the sound each gives off in different environments assists in the immersion.

Cover destruction is great fun, especially when you seen someone guarding an M-COM station while hiding behind a flimsy bathroom door and you whip out a pistol to take them down. Good times.

In addition to Sneaky's post about snipers and their lens glare, I'd add that the glare effect also happens indoors, so they get no advantage from being in low lit areas (like underground; weird huh?). They can try to hang back in Rush, but it's bleeding obvious where they are when they use their scope.

Not a lot of teamwork at the moment. Kind of expected it since it is a beta trial, but people tend not to back each other up or revive downed squaddies too often.
'Orbis non sufficit'

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 28 Sep 2011, 12:07

I'll have to change that then. You guys want me to be designated medic? :P

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 28 Sep 2011, 12:24

well when i get this on PS3 il be running Engie, then Recon (properly not Sniperses) then probably Medic then finaly assault. :)

oh and driver. i always play Driver if i can (tanks are NOT for sitting back and taking potshots with! they are big metal distractions that roll into the enemy base and cause havoc allowing your team to move forward!)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 28 Sep 2011, 12:36

vallorn wrote:well when i get this on PS3 il be running Engie, then Recon (properly not Sniperses) then probably Medic then finaly assault. :)

oh and driver. i always play Driver if i can (tanks are NOT for sitting back and taking potshots with! they are big metal distractions that roll into the enemy base and cause havoc allowing your team to move forward!)
If BF3 doesn't work on my PC, I'll come join ya and call down mortar strikes on peoples' heads.

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 03 Oct 2011, 21:24

Unlock the UMP. Kill everything.

lionheart_1
Site Contributor

Post by lionheart_1 » 04 Oct 2011, 01:02

Watch out for these little blighters

'Orbis non sufficit'

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 04 Oct 2011, 02:06

SneakyPie wrote:Unlock the UMP. Kill everything.
i hate that gun so much... :x
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 04 Oct 2011, 10:22

lionheart_1 wrote:Watch out for these little blighters

I love it.

I'm so close to unlocking that thing too.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 04 Oct 2011, 11:17

That thing is amazing. When does it unlock?

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 04 Oct 2011, 11:33

vallorn wrote:
SneakyPie wrote:Unlock the UMP. Kill everything.
i hate that gun so much... :x
i just unlocked it.
sneaky is correct... :o
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

lionheart_1
Site Contributor

Post by lionheart_1 » 04 Oct 2011, 20:56

Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:That thing is amazing. When does it unlock?
When you have a score of 72000 in the Engineer class. It's the last thing to unlock for that class.
'Orbis non sufficit'

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 04 Oct 2011, 20:59

Oh. I'll never get it then. Haven't played Engi yet. :P

lionheart_1
Site Contributor

Post by lionheart_1 » 04 Oct 2011, 21:11

In other news, there's been a huge palava about in-game squad management in the PC version of the beta, since it's non-existent. A thread appeared on the Battlelog forum about this glaring omission, and at last count, it's reached 12,000 replies from people petitioning that it be included so we can play in squads with our friends.

It seems that DICE has been watching the feedback, and they have moved to re-assure everyone that it will be included.

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fu ... ?id=165491
'Orbis non sufficit'

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 05 Oct 2011, 03:25

Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Oh. I'll never get it then. Haven't played Engi yet. :P
unlock Explosives and UMP.
play Engie
?????
Kill everything.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 05 Oct 2011, 11:01

vallorn wrote:
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Oh. I'll never get it then. Haven't played Engi yet. :P
unlock Explosives and UMP.
play Engie
?????
Kill everything.
Nah, I'm a recon kind of guy. I'll just use my semi-auto sniper rifle with an ACOG and flash suppresor.

lionheart_1
Site Contributor

Post by lionheart_1 » 07 Oct 2011, 08:04

Heads up!

Servers with the Caspian Border map on Conquest mode are up, and there's no password to enter them. Just be warned that there's a crap ton of lag for all of them, so expect a fair bit of rubber-banding.

Repairing a tank while it's trying to secure a flag - good fun
Using the machine gun on a tank to shoot down a helicopter - fantastic
Blowing up an enemy tank with an RPG 5 seconds after respawning, and securing the flag at the same time - priceless!
'Orbis non sufficit'

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 07 Oct 2011, 09:31

i created a PS3 Escapecraft group with a more minecrafty logo than a Trex with a crown :)
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 07 Oct 2011, 10:06

lionheart_1 wrote:Heads up!

Servers with the Caspian Border map on Conquest mode are up, and there's no password to enter them. Just be warned that there's a crap ton of lag for all of them, so expect a fair bit of rubber-banding.

Repairing a tank while it's trying to secure a flag - good fun
Using the machine gun on a tank to shoot down a helicopter - fantastic
Blowing up an enemy tank with an RPG 5 seconds after respawning, and securing the flag at the same time - priceless!
Just a had a round of it myself. Aside from the horrendous lag and rubber-banding it was a beautiful map. Much better than running around in tunnels. A true Battlefield map.

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 07 Oct 2011, 12:18

It is tits. =D

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

UndeadJesus

Post by UndeadJesus » 13 Oct 2011, 06:37

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 13 Oct 2011, 11:41

thats what shotguns are for. ;)

*gets blinded* *fires at the centre of the blind spot* *100pts* :)
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 13 Oct 2011, 11:51

Pssh, you can do that with any gun. I find enemies that use the laser or tactical light are easy prey. I do use a laser On my semi-auto sniper for when I'm in close quarters though.