The 2011 Line-Up

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

The 2011 Line-Up

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 12 Feb 2011, 17:31

Recently I've been looking at the games we've got in store for us this year, and I have to say, as someone who seems to love playing everything (save specific genres or the crappiest of the crap), this year looks pretty exciting.

We've got Dragon Age 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, LA Noire, Serious Sam 3, Homefront, Shogun 2: Total War, Crysis 2, F.E.A.R 3 (although based on Project Origin I'm not sure what to think about this now), Portal 2, Skyrim, Red Faction: Armageddon, Arkham City, Diablo 3, Gears of War 3, Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3 and The Old Republic (plus more, these are just titles I've taken an interest in, or think are worth mentioning).

Some of the later ones may be delayed to 2012, because hey, it happens, but man does 2011 look good to me as an avid gamer, and since I assume a lot of you are avid gamers too, you'll be looking forward to some of the games in that list!

Topic's Question: Any game you're particularly excited about for this year?

If I had to narrow it down, I'd say I'm most excited about the new Deus Ex, LA Noire, Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. If I had to narrow it down more, then Deus Ex and LA Noire. I love Dragon Age and Mass Effect, but LA Noire isn't a sequel and Deus Ex is Deus Ex.

If you haven't heard anything about LA Noire (and I only just heard about it two days or so ago), here's a link.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... rientation

If just the lip-syncing in that made you unhealthily excited, you're as weird as I am.

And do I really need to extrapolate on Deus Ex: Human Revolution? I loved the original (even liked Invisible War too!), and whilst a sequel after so long, and not from the original developer, can be worrying, I've ended up, during its development, going from abject pessimism, to wait-and-see, to cautious optimism, to excited supposition, and finally to rabid craving.

OptimusHagrid
Retired

Re: The 2011 Line-Up

Post by OptimusHagrid » 12 Feb 2011, 18:27

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:(even liked Invisible War too!)

Suddenly, torrents of hate. Nah not really.

Personally, I'm interested in Duke Nukem, Deus Ex, Diablo 3 (if it's coming out this year), Skyrim, Serious Sam 3 and LA Noire.

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 12 Feb 2011, 19:03

Portal 2, Dragon Age 2, Skyrim, also rumor has it that Bliz is trying to release Diablo 3 this year as well.

Also, it's a mod, but Black mesa Source was supposed to be released last year, but fingers crossed for this year.

And if it's true about the Old Republic, that's something to look forward to as well.

spacespork

Post by spacespork » 12 Feb 2011, 20:17

PORTAL 2 PORTAL 2 PORTAL 2 PORTAL 2 PORTAL 2

Oh, and Pokemon Black and White look pretty cool.
SpaceSpork on The Escapist, spacerpg on Minecraft, and awesome everywhere.

Spartigus

Post by Spartigus » 12 Feb 2011, 20:20

Diablo 3?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
~"And I believe, that we'll conceive, to make in Hell for us a Heaven"~

RexDark

Post by RexDark » 13 Feb 2011, 04:31

Dungeons (Already got it), because it's like Dungeon Keeper.
And Skyrim, Pokemon Black and Portal 2.
No signature here.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 13 Feb 2011, 06:46

spacespork wrote:PORTAL 2 PORTAL 2 PORTAL 2 PORTAL 2 PORTAL 2
^this.

also Battlefield 3 will be my home. (if i can figure out how my PS3 broke... *mutters something about disk drives*)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 13 Feb 2011, 12:34

The 3DS looks good. Definitly an improvement toward the PSP type of handhelds and 3D graphics.

lionheart_1
Site Contributor

Post by lionheart_1 » 13 Feb 2011, 16:50

Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Dragon Age 2, Portal 2, Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, Shogun 2: Total War (I played the original 10 years ago...good times).

So much gaming goodness, so very little time :(
'Orbis non sufficit'

Xipheon

Post by Xipheon » 13 Feb 2011, 17:00

Invisible War actually introduced me to Deus Ex and I thought it was awesome.

Most anticipated is Duke Nukem Forever, because I have honestly been waiting for it this ENTIRE TIME and don't care if it sucks I have to play it, Arkham City, and Mass Effect 3. If I actually believed Old Republic was coming this year it would be above all of these.

Fenreil

Post by Fenreil » 17 Feb 2011, 09:07

Battlefield 3. I've been waiting so damn long for this game. I don't care about anything else compared to Battlefield 3.

.....Well, except for Portal 2.
At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box.

Cho
Retired

Post by Cho » 17 Feb 2011, 09:12

Fenreil wrote:Battlefield 3. I've been waiting so damn long for this game. I don't care about anything else compared to Battlefield 3.

I'm unsure of Battlefield 3. Battlefield 1942 was one of the BEST games I ever played. The Desert Combat mod for it was the best mod I ever played. Apparently the devs of BF1942 thought so as well, as they hired the guys who wrote it and put them to work on BF2. However, BF2 had a fatal flaw in my opinion, and that was the jets and choppers were totally OP. Maps that had air power on them were just a frag fest for the jet jockeys. I've shot choppers with an Abrams and point blank range just to have the chopper pivot and one-shot me. And the AA guns were largely ineffective, when the pilots can simply buzz the airfield to repair and re-arm.

I'll be interested to see where they go with BF3.
Before all else, be armed. -Machiavelli

Fenreil

Post by Fenreil » 17 Feb 2011, 13:23

Cho wrote:
Fenreil wrote:Battlefield 3. I've been waiting so damn long for this game. I don't care about anything else compared to Battlefield 3.

I'm unsure of Battlefield 3. Battlefield 1942 was one of the BEST games I ever played. The Desert Combat mod for it was the best mod I ever played. Apparently the devs of BF1942 thought so as well, as they hired the guys who wrote it and put them to work on BF2. However, BF2 had a fatal flaw in my opinion, and that was the jets and choppers were totally OP. Maps that had air power on them were just a frag fest for the jet jockeys. I've shot choppers with an Abrams and point blank range just to have the chopper pivot and one-shot me. And the AA guns were largely ineffective, when the pilots can simply buzz the airfield to repair and re-arm.

I'll be interested to see where they go with BF3.
That's understandable, but I really think it's gonna be great. I mean, they've been waiting all this time to get the right tech to build BF3, they've all their resources working on it together (They cancelled 1943 for the PC so they could work on BF3), and I feel it's safe to say that they've learned a lot from those days.

Plus, we get footage at GDC this year. Can't wait.

Cho
Retired

Post by Cho » 17 Feb 2011, 13:25

I certainly hope so...

Bad Company 2 I think was a move in the right direction. It's the same company isn't it? Or maybe I'm remembering it wrongly.

Fenreil

Post by Fenreil » 17 Feb 2011, 17:14

Cho wrote:I certainly hope so...

Bad Company 2 I think was a move in the right direction. It's the same company isn't it? Or maybe I'm remembering it wrongly.
Yeah. They're all made by DICE, a swedish game company that also made Mirror's Edge.

Bad Company is officially considered a spin-off of the Battlefield series. The basic story is that they created the Frostbite engine, which allowed for the destruction features in the Bad Company games, decided that it wasn't quite good enough to make BF3 on, and made the Bad Company games instead, as a sort of experiment in the console market.

BF3 is using the Frostbite 2.0 engine, which is entirely new, and created specifically for BF3.

Long story short, DICE has been waiting for this for a while too. They really want to make it good.

colbylovin

Post by colbylovin » 20 Feb 2011, 05:16

Duke Nukem Forever sweet diablo 3 cant wait 4 these games
N64&PC all the way

Neitzche

Post by Neitzche » 21 Feb 2011, 13:58

Mass Effect 3, though I need to finish the second. My Xbox packed in yesterday (partly because I threw it at my door to try make it work better...)

And of course, Shogun 2. Don't know how it will play on my laptop though. Maybe if I threw it at my door...?

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 23 Feb 2011, 10:06

Fenreil wrote:
Cho wrote:I certainly hope so...

Yeah. They're all made by DICE, a swedish game company that also made Mirror's Edge.

Bad Company is officially considered a spin-off of the Battlefield series. The basic story is that they created the Frostbite engine, which allowed for the destruction features in the Bad Company games, decided that it wasn't quite good enough to make BF3 on, and made the Bad Company games instead, as a sort of experiment in the console market.

BF3 is using the Frostbite 2.0 engine, which is entirely new, and created specifically for BF3.

Long story short, DICE has been waiting for this for a while too. They really want to make it good.
I'll just leave this here.

michaeld20

Post by michaeld20 » 23 Feb 2011, 16:08

Uncharted 3 mlb 11 the show, Minecraft updates... Homefront(as mentioned above) and a little in infamous 2
"Some people in this world, they think their invincible... well thats just not true... beacause if you make just ONE mistake it could all end in a matter of seconds and then really how invincible are you?"- Myself

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 01 Mar 2011, 21:09

I'm excited for Resistance 3 and (now that I've seen the vid) Battlefield 3. Also, the NGP (new PSP) might be cool too.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Cho
Retired

Post by Cho » 02 Mar 2011, 09:24

Some more information, via Gamespot, on Battlefield 3:

http://www.gamespot.com/events/gdc2011/ ... ot;thumb;1

Highlights:

- There will be a significant single player campaign
- Even more destructible buildings, ala BF:BC2
- SP campaign seems to be laced with quick-time events (e.g. dragging a fallen teammate into cover, at least one hand-to-hand combat sequence). I'm not a fan of QT events, personally.
- Due out for all three major platforms this fall.
- No news on aircraft or balancing.

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 02 Mar 2011, 09:26

Cho wrote:Some more information, via Gamespot, on Battlefield 3:

http://www.gamespot.com/events/gdc2011/ ... ot;thumb;1

Highlights:

- There will be a significant single player campaign
- Even more destructible buildings, ala BF:BC2
- SP campaign seems to be laced with quick-time events (e.g. dragging a fallen teammate into cover, at least one hand-to-hand combat sequence). I'm not a fan of QT events, personally.
- Due out for all three major platforms this fall.
- No news on aircraft or balancing.
I hope that the dragging of teammates when they're wounded makes its way into multiplayer.

Cho
Retired

Post by Cho » 02 Mar 2011, 09:29

SneakyPie wrote:I hope that the dragging of teammates when they're wounded makes its way into multiplayer.
But not as a QTE hopefully. Just give us a key to hit, and let us drag away. It needs to be simple to execute, as you know darn well that every sniper out there will be watching for this to happen

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 02 Mar 2011, 09:31

Cho wrote:
SneakyPie wrote:I hope that the dragging of teammates when they're wounded makes its way into multiplayer.
But not as a QTE hopefully. Just give us a key to hit, and let us drag away. It needs to be simple to execute, as you know darn well that every sniper out there will be watching for this to happen
True enough. Not a fan of QTEs.

I can just imagine being a sniper and wounding an enemy waiting for his buddies to come help. :twisted:

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 02 Mar 2011, 13:47

SneakyPie wrote:
Cho wrote:
True enough. Not a fan of QTEs.

I can just imagine being a sniper and wounding an enemy waiting for his buddies to come help. :twisted:
i can imagine being another sniper waiting for you to wound an enemy and give away your position... :twisted:
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Cho
Retired

Post by Cho » 03 Mar 2011, 09:21

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... rt-of-Town

Not a whole lot of new info here - it's just a gameplay vid, but it does show the QTE with dragging your downed teammate into cover.

lionheart_1
Site Contributor

Post by lionheart_1 » 03 Mar 2011, 19:19

I mainly play games for the storyline, but the prospect of 32 vs 32 MP matches in Battlefield 3 makes me really excited.
'Orbis non sufficit'

Fenreil

Post by Fenreil » 05 Mar 2011, 00:03

Cho wrote:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... rt-of-Town

Not a whole lot of new info here - it's just a gameplay vid, but it does show the QTE with dragging your downed teammate into cover.
Unfortunately, dragging is confirmed to NOT be in multiplayer.

On the other hand, the trailer was pretty damn sweet.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 05 Apr 2011, 04:28

Skyrim woot! I love the Eldar Scrolls series, and this one looks better than Oblivion (nothing beats Morrowing GOTY in my opinion). That and Battlefield 3 is definetly going to get about 10 days of play time in the first month. That's right, 10 all-nighters.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Pinmissile
Retired

Post by Pinmissile » 05 Apr 2011, 05:44

If there's one game Im looking forward to this year, It'd be Skyrim.

I need something to sooth the pain from DA2.