The Building Of the Imperial City: Diggin is DONE!

A place for Teams, Cities, and Groups to have dedicated threads
Infesord
Retired

Re: The Building Of the Imperial City: Now with moar work!

Post by Infesord » 23 Aug 2011, 04:12

Figured I should mention to everyone here that work at IC should be a lot easier now. Since I am now a moderator and I usually work at IC and monitor it a lot, I can do quite a few things to make progress quicker. I can hand out tools, TNT, torches to those that need it, I can add new people to the IC cuboid and probably the most important thing is I can handle all IC payments, and usually check boxes fairly often so you are not sitting with 10 boxes filled and no payments.

Current work scheduled right now is still at the North East corner level 6 on the top half. If you are unsure as to what I am referring too just catch me in game and I can show you.

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 01 Sep 2011, 03:03

Update: Level 6 North East Corner Cleared!

Only 2 more floors to go in that sector. Level 7 is being worked on steadily (although is proving to be very tough because of the high dirt/gravel at that high level). Level 8 has also seen much work done on it, Keep it up guys and we'll have the North East area done.

Also, I will someday get around to giving an update with some pictures and update the OP a bit, considering how much has changed in the last little bit.

shin0biiz

Post by shin0biiz » 01 Sep 2011, 08:27

Is the overall terraforming close to done infesord?

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 01 Sep 2011, 17:58

shin0biiz wrote:Is the overall terraforming close to done infesord?
Correct me if I'm wrong:
-The first 4 levels are completely cleared.
-NW corner upper levels are also cleared, with the exception of the storage platform at level 4.
-NE corner will be finished in a couple of days at current rates.
-SW upper levels still have a lot of work to go
-SE upper levels haven't been touched in a while, and if they're anything like the top of NE, it's a mass of swiss cheese.

For those who are doing just pick & shovel digging, try to clear 3 layers in one pass, similar to what tnt takes.
Which leads to this:

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 01 Sep 2011, 20:45

Eddietester1066 wrote:
shin0biiz wrote:Is the overall terraforming close to done infesord?
Correct me if I'm wrong:
-The first 4 levels are completely cleared.
-NW corner upper levels are also cleared, with the exception of the storage platform at level 4.
-NE corner will be finished in a couple of days at current rates.
-SW upper levels still have a lot of work to go
-SE upper levels haven't been touched in a while, and if they're anything like the top of NE, it's a mass of swiss cheese.
Overall, I have no idea how far we are. Lots have been completed but there is still so much to accomplish. As for your list eddie it's almost right:

-The first 3 levels are completely cleared.
-NW corner just has the huge platform with all our stuff on it.
-NE is what are currently working on, with several levels (4,5 and 6) cleared out with the platforms still in place (for safety reasons). Only 7 and 8 still to go.
-SW and SE corners still have most of the work remaining to take care of. Some of them have corner areas removed by Mydrox so it won't be so bad. It's a total mess right now but if you know me I can easily clean it up for easy clearing.
-Last thing (and a big one) is that even if all corners are cleared, there is still the matter of making the edges and the floor all grass and steps to the environment. I'm still thinking of the best way to tackle that, but bot right now as we need to focus on the inside.
For those who are doing just pick & shovel digging, try to clear 3 layers in one pass, similar to what tnt takes.
Yes this is a good method to use, try and dig against grain of the TNT wall and not with it. Although for the most part I try and reserve messy areas for people with simple pick and shovel work to keep it simple for them and so they don't mess walls prepared and measured for TNT.

As I mentioned in the list there, when the NE area is all done (that includes all the floors except the bottom being taken out, by hand or by some new form of TNT removal) everyone and including myself will move our boxes/equipment to the edge of the next corner to clear, which with Eddietester's approval I believe will be the Southeast corner unless he feels he wants to do the Southwest one.

The reason I say that is because I believe with the limited workers we have we need to all work in one area so we can collectively see progress being done. The good news is you won't have to really move too much, as I do IC payments almost everyday so you won't need 20 cobblestone boxes set up. This move also lets me know who the heck still works at IC and who just has their boxes set up but then didn't commit anything at all after that (or who havent been on the server in ages)

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 01 Sep 2011, 23:33

Updated the OP quite a bit and added more pictures.

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 02 Sep 2011, 10:51

Infesord wrote:
As I mentioned in the list there, when the NE area is all done (that includes all the floors except the bottom being taken out, by hand or by some new form of TNT removal) everyone and including myself will move our boxes/equipment to the edge of the next corner to clear, which with Eddietester's approval I believe will be the Southeast corner unless he feels he wants to do the Southwest one.
Hasn't this always been somewhat of an anarcho-syndicalist commune? You don't need my approval, but you have it anyway :D
Which leads to this:

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 02 Sep 2011, 20:10

Eddietester1066 wrote:
Infesord wrote:Snip
Hasn't this always been somewhat of an anarcho-syndicalist commune? You don't need my approval, but you have it anyway :D
Yeah I knew I worded that wrong but couldn't find better words. Basically I hate to see work divided too far apart at this stage in the excavation. When it comes to a whole corner 5 levels and up, thats enough of a huge bite to take out. Working on 2 or more corners simultaneously is just silly in my mind. I'm just glad when you started on the NE corner and I wanted to do the SW corner, I decided to just shift over to the NE and try and arrange all work directed there.

But yeah if your plan was the do the South East one next, that's what we'll do in the same fashion. You start evening off the top "swiss cheese" mess up top and I organize all the lower floors for TNT based removal.

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 02 Sep 2011, 22:28

Okay just so everyone knows, there seems to be have been a major error of sorts with something at IC that has caused random blocks (in oddly familar formations) pop back up in levels 6, 7 and 8:
2011-09-02_21.13.33.png
Eddietester has fixed most of the stuff on level 8, and I am getting around to fixing 6 and 7 respectively. I do ask however if its not done when you get on, please help fix this by hand when you get on instead of your regular digging areas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 06 Sep 2011, 01:10

As requested, here's what I've worked out for clearing shelves:

Place your tnt in the third row back from the edge, spaced 4 blocks from each other, like this.
2011-09-05_22.14.32.png
The initial block
2011-09-05_22.14.43.png
Place them every fourth block
2011-09-05_22.18.48.png
The finished line, ready to light

Take your F&S and punch the end block. Step back. The blast from the first block will trigger the next block, all the way down the line. The only thing to watch is if you place the tnt in a dirt block, there is a fair chance that the blast that triggers it will also destroy the dirt. This lets the active tnt drop to the next level down and stops the chain.

The end result will be a fairly clean edge, and 6 rows of the platform removed :D
2011-09-05_22.22.48.png
Just make sure you move clear of the blast instead of fiddling with your camera...
2011-09-05_22.22.06.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Which leads to this:

shin0biiz

Post by shin0biiz » 06 Sep 2011, 10:17

Eddietester1066 wrote:
Spoiler! :
As requested, here's what I've worked out for clearing shelves:

Place your tnt in the third row back from the edge, spaced 4 blocks from each other, like this.
2011-09-05_22.14.32.png
The initial block
2011-09-05_22.14.43.png
Place them every fourth block
2011-09-05_22.18.48.png
The finished line, ready to light

Take your F&S and punch the end block. Step back. The blast from the first block will trigger the next block, all the way down the line. The only thing to watch is if you place the tnt in a dirt block, there is a fair chance that the blast that triggers it will also destroy the dirt. This lets the active tnt drop to the next level down and stops the chain.

The end result will be a fairly clean edge, and 6 rows of the platform removed :D
2011-09-05_22.22.48.png
Just make sure you move clear of the blast instead of fiddling with your camera...
2011-09-05_22.22.06.png
If we use this method, the platforms would be cleared in no time. But how about clearing the entire platform at once huh? The problem is how far apart are we going to put the rows of TNT.

Minecraft Explosions Wiki: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Explosion

This link above shows how far TNT can blast and resistance of blocks. This wiki says that stone has a resistance of 30 with TNT having the blast power of 4.

Edit: Thought this over and realized we may need a 5 block gap between the rows. This is to attempt to snip off any left off bits making the terraforming more efficient.
Last edited by shin0biiz on 07 Sep 2011, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 06 Sep 2011, 14:17

shin0biiz wrote: If we use this method, the platforms would be cleared in no time. But how about clearing the entire platform at once huh? The problem is how far apart are we going to put the rows of TNT.

Minecraft Explosions Wiki: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Explosion

This link above shows how far TNT can blast and resistance of blocks. This wiki says that stone has a resistance of 30 with TNT having the blast power of 4.

Edit: Thought this over and realized we may need a 4 block gap between the rows. This is to attempt to snip off any left off bits making the terraforming more efficient.
The problem with doing multiple rows is that the blasts become big enough to shift the tnt in addition to lighting it, and you wind up with hanging bits that need manual cleanup. You may be able to alleviate this by pinning the tnt with dirt, but this runs the risk of spending more time setting up the shot than just digging with a pick :P
Which leads to this:

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 06 Sep 2011, 15:34

however even with the extra time spent... TNT is always more fun :)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 06 Sep 2011, 20:53

Last night we had a major breakthrough as all 8 levels are now finally complete in the North East corner and now all we need to do is remove the platforms!

It is important to note that however to do the highest platform first then work down. We need platforms below each one to catch people so they don't fall and die. The platform below can also catch rocks and dirt that fall down in case people want to catch it to collect for payment, although I don't really like that as much because your not really "working" as you are just nabbing the stuff for free. That is unless like you work in partners with someone and the deal is the materials get split in half or whatever.

Chances are though guys I will leave platform clearing to all you. I will start working on preping the South East Corner area for work so if people want to dig but do not fancy platforms they will have something to do.

Also I might as well put this here. When we set up boxes at the SE corner, I will make my MISSION to ensure everyone follows an orderly box setup so we don't have boxes absolutely everywhere. I will think a simple system to use (including myself) that will make it easier for everyone working to store their tools and materials for payment.

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 09 Sep 2011, 03:57

Update: Prepare yourselfs for amazement: ALL of the North East Corner is gone. See for yourself:
North East Corner Cleared.jpg
It's so beautiful I could cry....

*ahem*

So, with that we now have the dubious task of clearing the South East Corner, the basic groundwork for starting it has already begun, but as always there is SO much to do still. But I am still marking this as a MASSIVE milestone thus far with this ridiculously sized project. Also stay tuned for how I want Boxes set up over on the South East side.

Oh speaking of boxes, I WILL be cleaning the North West area up of empty boxes or half filled ones and condensing them to clean the place up. This also means things like tearing down that stupid house actiongoose made, despite the fact I never seen the darn guy work there ever.

As well, I just want to mention that everyone this would not be possible without Eddietester's amazing effective and simple TNT platform removing technique. It made platform removing fun, simple and effective with little to no mess.

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 09 Sep 2011, 08:19

Sniff. So many memories in that corner. The lava. The Invisible Slimes of Death. More lava. Breaking into the bottom of lakes. The mobtower cavern. Good times.

I'd also like to thank Blackadder for giving me the opportunity to learn precision tnt excavation.

As for the house, I say leave it until we're removing the platform, then fill it with tnt. :lol:
Which leads to this:

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 09 Sep 2011, 08:39

This is very impressive :)

Massive thanks guys MASSIVE thanks :)

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

MayorLennie
Site Contributor

Post by MayorLennie » 09 Sep 2011, 09:33

Gee I feel like I just got started too! I'll be by to collect my boxes if needed, and help out!

Lennie
"No one can escape the inevitable envelopment of will and desire that is Escapecraft. Bring him here." -- Lord_Mountbatten

sag185
Retired

Post by sag185 » 10 Sep 2011, 08:10

Ill get on and help as much as i can =D

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 23 Sep 2011, 05:34

Thanks to the 1.8 patch almost a week ago, work at IC has obviously slowed down, more so because of my slacking off working on other important projects. I believe eddietester has been working his butt off though on the top (looks really good so far, rock and dirt is clearly no match for you :) ) Sorry if I haven't been on to check your payment boxes I'll do a quick check after I post this before I go to bed here.

It seems that there may have to be a level 10, 11 or even 12 on this side unless eddietester can really trim it down. Level 4 top section is all marked out, it just needs to be worked which I have been doing a bit of from time to time, and the bottom section won't take much to mark out either.

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 23 Sep 2011, 05:52

Oh yeah. If anyone has ever helped on IC please PM me with responses to these questions.
Spoiler! :
If you have any response please reply to this, if not sorry for the inconvenience.

Do you have any role in the creation of this?

If yes, please respond with what.

How does one get into these projects anyhow?

What inspired you to do it manually, knowing of the challenges that you will be faced with?

What has been the hardest challenge for this?

Is there any method to how you have helped?

Do you believe that his has had an effect on the overall server? If so please explain.

With megaprojects it can evoke a sense of community, and evoke teamwork, with these projects do you believe that this is happening?

These projects have evolved a lot from when they started, but for you what was the turning point of this project?

For the projects being made, why do you believe that Imperial City and Imperial Destroyer was chosen?

Is there anything else that you would like to add?

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 23 Sep 2011, 12:41

Well, I haven't worked at IC in months, with my solo projects and all. It's looking good though.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 23 Sep 2011, 13:19

Since I'm a bachelor this weekend (Wife's at a quilt retreat) I should be able to skim another layer off the top. There is a huge amount of sand in the corner that should be sooooo much fun :P
Which leads to this:

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 23 Sep 2011, 13:39

Eddietester1066 wrote:Since I'm a bachelor this weekend (Wife's at a quilt retreat) I should be able to skim another layer off the top. There is a huge amount of sand in the corner that should be sooooo much fun :P
mind if i help with that eddie? i need more sand :)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 23 Sep 2011, 21:47

vallorn wrote:
Eddietester1066 wrote:Since I'm a bachelor this weekend (Wife's at a quilt retreat) I should be able to skim another layer off the top. There is a huge amount of sand in the corner that should be sooooo much fun :P
You're always welcome to drop by, although someone seems to have erased most of the sand last night :P
Which leads to this:

Hytro
Retired

Post by Hytro » 24 Sep 2011, 12:54

Eddietester1066 wrote:
vallorn wrote:
You're always welcome to drop by, although someone seems to have erased most of the sand last night :P
Totally not me >.>
Iya AyemMeht YahklemOhtYoodtRoht DothAyemEkemDothRothIyaCess LyrOthRothDoth
Iya WebIyaLyrLyr CessOhtNethSethYoodtMehtEkem YahkemOthYoodtRoth SethOhtYoodtLyr

UndeadJesus

Post by UndeadJesus » 25 Sep 2011, 03:59

Imma work some more now :D

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 07 Oct 2011, 22:05

Random Question Time!

When you first discovered the Imperial City in Oblivion what did you think of it?

random980

Post by random980 » 07 Oct 2011, 22:10

When i ever play oblivion ill tell you :D
Also, we can haz up to date photos of IC?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

MayorLennie
Site Contributor

Post by MayorLennie » 08 Oct 2011, 00:46

Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Well, I haven't worked at IC in months, with my solo projects and all. It's looking good though.
It's been a couple weeks since I've been back there. TNT scares me, I like to just dig manually, it's so...peaceful...It's a great project for newcomers, gives you those first valuable diamonds, and working with Infesord I learned a lot. I can't wait to see it in all its glory. Unbelievable, one block at a time team work. I am amazed when i'm on an upper level looking down at the arena. Then falling.
"No one can escape the inevitable envelopment of will and desire that is Escapecraft. Bring him here." -- Lord_Mountbatten