The Building Of the Imperial City: Diggin is DONE!

A place for Teams, Cities, and Groups to have dedicated threads
Saladus

Re: The Building Of the Imperial City: Now with moar diamond

Post by Saladus » 28 Mar 2011, 20:20

UnusualStranger wrote:Hehe....I don't think it feels right for me to help at IC much any more. I don't know where I should really mine any more, and it seems other people have become much more professional about the whole ordeal.

Oh well, it was good mining times while it lasted.
It really isn't that complicated Unusual :). If you see any of those setups we're talking about, just mine on levels 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51, 58, and 65, or heck, just clear whatever if you're not sure. Unless you're burned out, IC needs all the help it can get.

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 29 Mar 2011, 00:22

Yeah, its really not that complicated. I LOVE the concept of setting up layers, cause it looks nice and easy to know what to dig, and as mentioned TNT will make it super easy (if done properly of course, TNT if used randomly and improperly will be messly... and could get you or others killed.

As for me, i do general digging, but I like taking care of lava flows and water flows. I just hate it when i see obsidian made though, its a pain in the ass to remove (regardless of lag, 15 seconds per block IS NOT efficient). I just use mass quantities of Gravel (or sand if I have any) to fill lava sections fast and quick.

On another note, there are 2 things that has me perplexed and bit confused. 1 is where the corners of the 500x500 area is. I request they be labeled/clearly made so I can get an idea, as I like to see exactly where they are.

2 is what is with that new Minecart system going down into the core. I think it looks unnecessary (people using it more for fun roller coaster than actual a to b transportation) and it should be removed. There is a lift system that works just fine to get to the few levels, and of course we'll have to add more once we get all the different levels organized on every side.

Saladus

Post by Saladus » 29 Mar 2011, 07:25

Infesord wrote:2 is what is with that new Minecart system going down into the core. I think it looks unnecessary (people using it more for fun roller coaster than actual a to b transportation) and it should be removed. There is a lift system that works just fine to get to the few levels, and of course we'll have to add more once we get all the different levels organized on every side.
Unfortunately I have to agree with this as well. We already have a ladder to go down. When I see new people come to IC, their eyes are first drawn to the IC.... and then to the rails... which they then ride purely for amusement, spending a good chunk of time (especially if a new player) just trying to actually get the cart going. The few new people I've seen at IC fiddle around with it for 30 minutes, get bored, and then leave without clearing a single block. It's really just a distraction right in the middle of IC unfortunately.
Last edited by Saladus on 29 Mar 2011, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.

Saladus

Post by Saladus » 29 Mar 2011, 07:43

Also, the clearing system has has been set up on the ever-daunting west side cliff (thanks I believe to Infesored). There's a lot of issues with open space and overhangs on some floors, so if you need to extend the floor you're on, just do so. It'll be a lot easier to just clear out the platforms when done.

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 29 Mar 2011, 07:52

Massive Super Secret Sexy Update.

After much delay and faffing about I have finally done the super update.

We are all very impressed with the amount of work that has been done.

Also, we have a channel its /ch ic
This is not an auto join channel so join it every time. All IC info must go in that channel. Also TPs are to be considered a very low priority with the new railways system.

All carts are not to be used for joy riding ever. The railway system is head up by Nart who did a massive job with his workers, the train station is at cross roads and there is signs. Password to chests is " nopants "

Do not bug other mods with questions or tp's. Pm me and Bum, Lion and me for that.

Also the warehouse will be moved in a week or so.

Another big thing. As per now All pay is 1 diamond per double chest of cobble/gravel/dirt. This is final.

Why is it so low you ask, easy. This is a labor of love, the 5 diamond was a introduction offer.

2011-03-29_22.36.22.png
2011-03-29_22.37.59.png
2011-03-29_22.38.24.png
2011-03-29_22.38.41.png
2011-03-29_22.45.59.png
2011-03-29_22.46.33.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

steelreefer

Post by steelreefer » 29 Mar 2011, 09:14

Very good news black. Can't wait to start clearing out levels tomorrow.

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 29 Mar 2011, 15:24

Yup looks pretty good. Although i still have to say the Minecart system from the X roads to IC is cuboided so someone cannot just randomly use it, even if they know the password to the chest (which works too).

Now to be fair, about that Minecart system i said was a complete waist: It's actually fine now. It is the fastest way to get from the Warehouse to the SOUTH area of digging, so I don't really have a problem with it. SO LONG as no one uses it for joy riding as you have just mentioned is strictly not allowed. It however needs some fine tuning as it seems to have some unnecessary lifts and turn rounds that make me wonder what they were thinking when they built it.

I think it should be made pretty clear to new people working on IC that minecarts are just for vets, and they will have to do with the lift system, as there is still plenty to mine on the North, West and East segments. I believe it should also be mentioned that for best results, new players stick to the 2ND level as the bottom level is filled with lava flows that really should be handle by more experienced diggers. That and the 2ND level still has a chance for them to get diamonds, since obviously they will want some sort of incentive besides the 1 diamond per box filled thing.

Which I also agree with lowering of the reward 8-)

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 30 Mar 2011, 04:35

Okay, I have an idea for what I hope might be a good idea for land clearing in IC, I'd try and describe it but I think these pictures does a good enough job:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/5442 ... tprep1.png

http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/4606 ... tprep2.png

This shaft is the result of the last couple days of digging. However I think if we simply prep every area of the IC dig sites to align with this design, the very SECOND TNT is ready to use we can knock down walls at breakneck speeds. The design has to follow the pattern that's shown, where you dig into 2 layers of the stone and place the TNT in. It is also recommended to set up dirt "stepping stools" so its easier to load and hit the top TNT blocks.

On top of all that, even if TNT isn't faster than digging (which is totally NOT true) TNT is way more fun and enjoyable to use (and I know, obvious statement is obvious, suck it :P ).

Frostfeuer

Post by Frostfeuer » 30 Mar 2011, 07:49

Infesord wrote:Okay, I have an idea for what I hope might be a good idea for land clearing in IC, I'd try and describe it but I think these pictures does a good enough job:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/5442 ... tprep1.png

http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/4606 ... tprep2.png

This shaft is the result of the last couple days of digging. However I think if we simply prep every area of the IC dig sites to align with this design, the very SECOND TNT is ready to use we can knock down walls at breakneck speeds. The design has to follow the pattern that's shown, where you dig into 2 layers of the stone and place the TNT in. It is also recommended to set up dirt "stepping stools" so its easier to load and hit the top TNT blocks.

On top of all that, even if TNT isn't faster than digging (which is totally NOT true) TNT is way more fun and enjoyable to use (and I know, obvious statement is obvious, suck it :P ).
Awesome, glad to see someone else with the same idea I had but with actual TNT to do it with. I wonder if there is a way to use redstone to set them all off at the same time

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 30 Mar 2011, 08:12

Yeah, the TNT i made was from all the gunpowder i have collected from the time i started work at IC.

As for using Redstone to safely set off all the TNT simultaneously, I usually don't do that because of the extra time involved, and having to run back and forth from the charge settings and the detonator. Its not like they have to all go off at the same time. Besides... I find it more fun to play with danger and set em off by hand and running away. Thats how real men do it anyway.

Blackadder51
Retired

Re: The Building Of the Imperial City: Now with moar minecar

Post by Blackadder51 » 30 Mar 2011, 08:19

Real men use stacks when detonating whilst standing on it and setting it off with fire.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13657789/Highwa ... 20Zone.mp3

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

MKindy
Everybody Have a Logical Time

Post by MKindy » 30 Mar 2011, 08:34

Blackadder51 wrote:Real men use stacks when detonating whilst standing on it and setting it off withwhile on fire.
Fixed. :)

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 30 Mar 2011, 18:56

Since I'm finding digging relaxing, I'd be happy to help with the excavation. I've got two questions, though:
-Are you still looking for help (still 10.5 hrs from Vet status)
-What's the best way there from /groupspawn? I'd like to avoid resetting my /home if it's avoidable.

In game, I'm EddieTester1066
Which leads to this:

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 30 Mar 2011, 20:34

Just had an idea. Will make moving warehouses very interesting.... =D
Chuckp wrote:Since I'm finding digging relaxing, I'd be happy to help with the excavation. I've got two questions, though:
-Are you still looking for help (still 10.5 hrs from Vet status)
-What's the best way there from /groupspawn? I'd like to avoid resetting my /home if it's avoidable.

In game, I'm EddieTester1066
we are always looking for help :) to get to ic go to /groupspawn find crossroads and follow the signs to the train station :)

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 30 Mar 2011, 22:33

Infesord wrote:Yeah, the TNT i made was from all the gunpowder i have collected from the time i started work at IC.

As for using Redstone to safely set off all the TNT simultaneously, I usually don't do that because of the extra time involved, and having to run back and forth from the charge settings and the detonator. Its not like they have to all go off at the same time. Besides... I find it more fun to play with danger and set em off by hand and running away. Thats how real men do it anyway.
If we are going to implement the new excavating method shown above we will have to do precision with TNT, which means redstone and proper placement so we leave each floor level intact. Even if it takes a little bit more time to set up, it will save you way more on end-results considering you still have a floor under your square stubbly feet to stand on and work more comfrotably ( and safely mind you )
You cannot say it doesn't exist if you haven't seen it. ~Zinrius

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 30 Mar 2011, 23:29

Still need a bit of help. I found the North Station, took the lift down, walked along a looong tunnel, and found a lift at the other end. Went up, appeared to be in a cuboided cavern. Is this normal?
Which leads to this:

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 31 Mar 2011, 00:11

Zinrius wrote:If we are going to implement the new excavating method shown above we will have to do precision with TNT, which means redstone and proper placement so we leave each floor level intact. Even if it takes a little bit more time to set up, it will save you way more on end-results considering you still have a floor under your square stubbly feet to stand on and work more comfrotably ( and safely mind you )
Who said my method wasn't precise? I've tested it in Single Player is and it works perfectly without the use of Redstone. You just have to be careful and skilled. I even tried and timed how long it would take to set up a Redstone system, and its just too much a pain in the ass to do and takes WAY too long to do. You'd almost be better off at that point just digging by hand to be efficient. I wish I could make a video and show ya how it works in single player so ya get an idea. Which would actually help a lot because I have a better method set up now in that shafts and a few others instead of the stepping stools.

So instead, heres a picture by picture, step by step guide for how to pull off this precision TNT explosion technique WITHOUT lengthy Redstone systems:

Step 1: Make sure wall is flat, ready for digging and matches the mathematical parameters for the TNT (Multiples of 3 such as 6,9,12,15, e.t.c. across)

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/1006/tnttestp1.png

Step 2: Dig out holes for bottom TNT row.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9437/tnttestp2.png

Step 3: Place dirt "Bridge" with a step to get up on top of it

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5378/tnttestp3.png

Step 4: Using the convenient Bridge, Dig out the top TNT hole placements.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5236/tnttestp4.png

Step 5: CAREFULLY load all the TNT

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/6808/tnttestp5.png

Step 6: In one go, walk across the Bridge to the left or right and set all the top charges with your hands (like a Boss) and step back away as you hit the last one.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9670/tnttestp6.png

Step 7: In one go again, ignite the bottom row of TNT with your hands (also like a boss) and step away, noticing that all the blocks have now been removed, INCLUDING the dirt bridge, so you don't have to remove it at the end of the demolition every time.

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/3605/tnttestp7.png

Step 8: ????

Step 9: PROFIT!
images.jpg
Obviously the only problem you will run into is patches of dirt and Gravel. The 2 options to deal with it is either just do the explosions as normal and when it causes unevenness fill in the roof and floor and the extra missing spots with cobblestone then continue, OR manually dig out the dirt and replace it with cobblestone Before doing more demolishing.

As well, I realize you could condense those steps a bit to be super efficient by loading a TNT block right when you dig a hole. So long as it's done safely and precisely every time you will ensure you don't damage the floor or roof, or YOURSELF for that matter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Infesord on 31 Mar 2011, 03:12, edited 2 times in total.

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 31 Mar 2011, 00:16

Chuckp wrote:Still need a bit of help. I found the North Station, took the lift down, walked along a looong tunnel, and found a lift at the other end. Went up, appeared to be in a cuboided cavern. Is this normal?
Yeah Black didn't inform you the area is cuboided, which is a pain because it'd be nice if we didn't have to cuboid useful stuff like Tram systems so people couldn't mess them up, however I'm curious now, can't you just hop up the way the train tracks go up in a spiral? I think I'll go investigate it myself (since i Can't really build/break anything with all the block lag).

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 01 Apr 2011, 18:23

Update on the TNT Prep system:

I have found a different and slightly better (in my opinion) design for prepping walls and dirt bridges for removing walls in IC. Basically you dig in an extra stone (so dig in 3 instead of 2) and design the bridge like this:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9268/tnttestt4.png

This makes it so you can reach the top TNT holes for placing and igniting much easier. The aftermath of the detonation looks like this:

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/2475/tnttestt6.png

Obviosuly, the bad thing is that a few chunks of rock will still need to manually removed by hand, but at least it gets over 90% of the blocks on an extra layer. Once again, the bridge is removed entirely so that does not need to be done everything. As an added bonus, even if the floor is made of dirt (a common occurrence in IC layerings of the dig sites) the TNT will not destroy it.

This new method has some pros and cons, I think It would be more beneficial than the one i mentioned in the previous posts, but the other one IS more consistent and simpler, so either of these 2 designs will work. Once again, I guess I am going a bit crazy with this, because there is still NO WORD on when TNT will be re-enabled, not to mention this block lag is STILL. NOT. HELPING.

steelreefer

Post by steelreefer » 01 Apr 2011, 21:16

Yeah block lag is the enemy of miners everywhere.

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 04 Apr 2011, 00:15

My god, you're making this into a science.

I LIKE IT!! :D :D
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 04 Apr 2011, 02:46

The Bum wrote:My god, you're making this into a science.

I LIKE IT!! :D :D

AND I DO NOT!

*places several stacks of TNT in a cave in the walls...*
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Tehbeard

Post by Tehbeard » 04 Apr 2011, 05:19

Infesord wrote: Super Snip...

What? What's all this science doing on ma TNT?

What's so hard about Dig, Place, Punch? it's TNT not a fighter jet. (cookie for the reference)

-Tehbeard, Lord of KABOOOOMMS!

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 04 Apr 2011, 08:41

LOL guys, I'm just trying to give some perspective. Theres no point wildly using TNT if it just makes a mess, except for dirt on the topside. Dirt is very weak to TNT power so it destroys WAAY more than a 3x3x3 radius around the TNT. The reason I have the methods above is so you have a good system to work with to increase efficiency and keep the damn layers in one piece.

If you wish to flail wildly with TNT, just get the damn dirt on the topside. at least there it'll go some good. :P

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 04 Apr 2011, 08:59

Infesord wrote:LOL guys, I'm just trying to give some perspective. Theres no point wildly using TNT if it just makes a mess, except for dirt on the topside. Dirt is very weak to TNT power so it destroys WAAY more than a 3x3x3 radius around the TNT. The reason I have the methods above is so you have a good system to work with to increase efficiency and keep the damn layers in one piece.

If you wish to flail wildly with TNT, just get the damn dirt on the topside. at least there it'll go some good. :P
well not quite. it seems that TNT damage stacks so detonating a large chunk of the stuff is more powerfull than doing that seperatly. plus its just more fun this way. (so long as we dont scratch White Gold...)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 04 Apr 2011, 23:57

vallorn wrote: well not quite. it seems that TNT damage stacks so detonating a large chunk of the stuff is more powerfull than doing that seperatly. plus its just more fun this way. (so long as we dont scratch White Gold...)
Well duh TNT explosions combined together will stack, but you're suppose to PREVENT that when you only need to do 6 by X rows (X being how long the segment of the wall is, which should always be a multiple of 3). If we just set TNT of randomly in huge amount we're gonna have a huge frickin' mess to deal with. It's easy if we stick to each segment of 6 units with a roof and floor above and below (The parameters for max digging height using just tools) and then when every single layer is dug out, you simply just remove the dividers and thats all ya gotta do. And to be fair I THINK it's way more fun to see a perfect line of 6 by X be destroyed without huge holes everywhere. I guess i just like neat and orderly designs rather than total chaos. Not to mention with segments all designed properly it's safer from both falling, and it easier to keep lit to prevent mob spawns.

Another bad thing about using TNT out of control is the chance of hitting lava and water splurges. One bad discovery of one could WAAY more annoying with random holes and messes then if you did it 3 or 4 segments of a wall at a time with a floor underneath you. I dunno why you think just stacking TNT en masse and exploding it simultaneously in random places will really make things go faster if it just create more headaches in the long run.

Once again, that sort of method is sort of fine topside where its mostly Dirt. Since dirt is very weak and multitudes of dirt can removed with even 1 TNT, then yeah sure go nuts i suppose.

ANYWAY, I for one am glad that block lag had been reduced significantly in the last little bit, its at least a little less aggravating to do Digging in IC before we get TNT re-enabled.

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 05 Apr 2011, 00:11

Please note, if you use stacks at a time you run out faster and have to ask me again.... Make the TNT last or i shall not be happy. I want a safe and efficient build.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 05 Apr 2011, 03:38

Blackadder51 wrote:Please note, if you use stacks at a time you run out faster and have to ask me again.... Make the TNT last or i shall not be happy. I want a safe and efficient build.
but. :( i like my explosions... and safe...IC? :lol:
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

steelreefer

Post by steelreefer » 05 Apr 2011, 09:33

vallorn wrote:
Blackadder51 wrote:Please note, if you use stacks at a time you run out faster and have to ask me again.... Make the TNT last or i shall not be happy. I want a safe and efficient build.
but. :( i like my explosions... and safe...IC? :lol:

No.... No supernovas? :(

Tehbeard

Post by Tehbeard » 05 Apr 2011, 20:10

Do it the beard and drox way, safe, efficent, and nice to watch a stack of TNT level 2304 cubic metres near simultaneously. Thats about as efficient as it'll get.