The Building Of the Imperial City: Diggin is DONE!

A place for Teams, Cities, and Groups to have dedicated threads
MKindy
Everybody Have a Logical Time

Re: The Building Of the Imperial City: Now with moar diamond

Post by MKindy » 26 Mar 2011, 12:17

No overhang here... :P
grand canyon 1.png
grand canyon 2.png
grand canyon 3.png
Split straight down to the northern border of IC, approx 7 x 60 x 200. :D Pham helped me a little with it, but most of what you (don't) see was hewn from the mighty earth by my endless array of generously-provided diamond pickaxes. :3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 26 Mar 2011, 14:48

Impressive!
You cannot say it doesn't exist if you haven't seen it. ~Zinrius

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 26 Mar 2011, 16:20

good god Kindy how many chests did that fill? :shock:
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 26 Mar 2011, 16:23

i think even when we get tnt back noone can beat kindys mining :o
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

lionheart_1
Site Contributor

Post by lionheart_1 » 26 Mar 2011, 21:31

MKindy wrote:No overhang here... :P

'snip'

Split straight down to the northern border of IC, approx 7 x 60 x 200. :D Pham helped me a little with it, but most of what you (don't) see was hewn from the mighty earth by my endless array of generously-provided diamond pickaxes. :3
Bloody hell, that's impressive. I'm really impressed with the progress that has made of the last couple of weeks. Your going to get tired of hearing this from me, but thanks to everyone who is helping on this insane project.
'Orbis non sufficit'

MKindy

Post by MKindy » 26 Mar 2011, 23:30

vallorn wrote:good god Kindy how many chests did that fill? :shock:
I think it was about 20 chests total, I left a WHOLE bunch last night/this morning, like 8 chests. And that doesn't consider the enormous amounts of dirt thrown into the fire. It was a ridiculous amount of work. :P But I was driven to get the picture.

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 26 Mar 2011, 23:50

MKindy wrote:
vallorn wrote:good god Kindy how many chests did that fill? :shock:
I think it was about 20 chests total, I left a WHOLE bunch last night/this morning, like 8 chests. And that doesn't consider the enormous amounts of dirt thrown into the fire. It was a ridiculous amount of work. :P But I was driven to get the picture.

MKindy

Post by MKindy » 27 Mar 2011, 04:46

Building my next one between X=-2164 and -2157, from just under the big staircase all the way to IC's eastern border at Z=-220. Pham said there is a big mountain that rises above the cloud line at X=-220, so this is even more earth than prior. I've begun the first layer under the staircase, then will go topside and dig out all the earth above it. Anyone who wants to help is welcome. :D

After it's done, I'll build a 7-wide line from the end of it to X=-2416, and from the prior one to Z=-220, so they meet in the very northeast corner of the quarry. Then we can systematically destroy all the earth in that quadrant. :D

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 27 Mar 2011, 09:27

Huge, massive update in the next 24hrs. I will discuss a new way to get to IC without tps. (as tping will be phased out for ic ) Also a major pay update shall occur, in 18hrs the pay rate will be 1 diamond per double chest of cobble. Also railways shall be discussed as it is back online and will make your life a lot more easyer at IC. Heaps of screenies will be present. Please post questions if you have any.

Lion is back after a month studying hard so we have some building being done as well and we get to hear what he thinks of it all. (spoiler it a good thing )

And of course a massive thank you to the people on the front line whoes diging inspire me more and more and shall make this dream a reality. I an very proud of escapecraft as a community and once again you guys have shown me why I love moderating on this server and why I will keep coming back. You guys are insanely awesome and I thank you all, you guys (and gals) are what makes this server the best in the bloody world and why no one shall be close to this level of awesome. Dont you ever forget it. :)

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 27 Mar 2011, 09:42

(thank you ;) )

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 27 Mar 2011, 09:58

Black while 5 diamonds per double chest was way to much i think youve overcompensated.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Saladus

Post by Saladus » 27 Mar 2011, 18:33

So I've begun to copy Mkindy's method (or I believe it was his) of making stairs in the southeast, and southwest corners that lead to a platform after every 7 levels. So while you're on each platform, you can mine as high as possible while standing, without fear of taking out the platform above you. Hopefully it'll just be another organized way to easily clear out lots of cobble / dirt :)

MKindy

Post by MKindy » 27 Mar 2011, 18:41

Saladus wrote:So I've begun to copy Mkindy's method (or I believe it was his) of making stairs in the southeast, and southwest corners that lead to a platform after every 7 levels. So while you're on each platform, you can mine as high as possible while standing, without fear of taking out the platform above you. Hopefully it'll just be another organized way to easily clear out lots of cobble / dirt :)
Yeah, that's how I made the big tunnel, 'cause you can mine up to the 6th block above the block you're standing on, so that creates a floor every 7th level. Good for strip mining lots of material! Do that from the bottom level of IC (Y=9) and you get floors on 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51, 58, and 65 puts you just above ground level. Then you mine all the way back to the edge of the city each level, then destroy each level's floor, and you've got a nice chasm. :)

MKindy

Post by MKindy » 27 Mar 2011, 18:44

vallorn wrote:Black while 5 diamonds per double chest was way to much i think youve overcompensated.
I must say I agree.

MKindy

Post by MKindy » 27 Mar 2011, 18:45

Blackadder51 wrote:You guys are insanely awesome and I thank you all, you guys (and gals) are what makes this server the best in the bloody world and why no one shall be close to this level of awesome. Dont you ever forget it. :)
<3

Saladus

Post by Saladus » 27 Mar 2011, 21:35

MKindy wrote:
Saladus wrote:So I've begun to copy Mkindy's method (or I believe it was his) of making stairs in the southeast, and southwest corners that lead to a platform after every 7 levels. So while you're on each platform, you can mine as high as possible while standing, without fear of taking out the platform above you. Hopefully it'll just be another organized way to easily clear out lots of cobble / dirt :)
Yeah, that's how I made the big tunnel, 'cause you can mine up to the 6th block above the block you're standing on, so that creates a floor every 7th level. Good for strip mining lots of material! Do that from the bottom level of IC (Y=9) and you get floors on 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51, 58, and 65 puts you just above ground level. Then you mine all the way back to the edge of the city each level, then destroy each level's floor, and you've got a nice chasm. :)
Yup! Those are the exact co-ord's I'm using, since starting the second level at 16 prevents anyone accidentally mining from Y=9. I've used this method on the southside on pretty much most of the southern side of IC. Zinirus really liked it and we worked on it for a while.

Honestly, I think this would be the best method to clear out the rest of IC. It's super easy, prevents overhangs, helps to show progress (which raises morale at the daunting task of clearing) and makes everything easy to reach. I already kind of made an outline around all of IC at Y=16, as well at lit it so hopefully people know not to mine that floor, or at least get an idea of it.

I'd strongly suggest anyone working on clearing IC check out the southern side for how this works. Like Mkindy said, it'd be at the some coordinates all the way around - 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51, 58, and 65. Here's two pics to show how it looks -

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 27 Mar 2011, 21:43

*post above*

This is the safest, funnest and most productive way to mine IC without to many mobs ( so long as you light accordingly )

It also looks appealing and professionally done. I hope the miners of IC take upon this example and continue to mine in accordance to the style.

Thank you ~Zinrius
You cannot say it doesn't exist if you haven't seen it. ~Zinrius

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 27 Mar 2011, 23:23

MKindy wrote:No overhang here... :P
grand canyon 1.png
grand canyon 2.png
grand canyon 3.png
Excellent work! But, please do me a favor and fence off things like this, lots of people die!
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 27 Mar 2011, 23:24

Also, I love you all.
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 27 Mar 2011, 23:53

Im sorry bum but im pulling rank on the fences. They are hard to remove and a pain to lake and place. Please dont do them

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 28 Mar 2011, 06:53

Well so much for my plan lol I came home and crashed give me another day =D

Furdabip
Poop

Post by Furdabip » 28 Mar 2011, 07:16

Okay, so, Black. At fair market value, a double chest of Cobble is worth just over 2 Diamonds. I think you should offer 3 diamonds per double chest for manual labor + the cobble. If not that, then 2 for the most fair deal.

Frostfeuer

Post by Frostfeuer » 28 Mar 2011, 09:16

Zinrius wrote:*post above*

This is the safest, funnest and most productive way to mine IC without to many mobs ( so long as you light accordingly )

It also looks appealing and professionally done. I hope the miners of IC take upon this example and continue to mine in accordance to the style.

Thank you ~Zinrius
I have to agree with Zinrius here, I have to give props to Saladus and Zin for the work they put into setting up the levels to mine in IC. It is the best way i've seen to clear out large areas and its easy enough for anyone to figure out what they are supposed to do.

Also as an aside, when TNT is enabled, the way that the levels are currently set up allows for perfect placement of a tnt block 2 high, and another at 5 high to clear out the level of stone. (Since a tnt block blows up stone in a perfect 3x3x3 block). That said I don't know how people used tnt in the past, but for precision blasting this layout works great.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 28 Mar 2011, 10:46

Furdabip wrote:Okay, so, Black. At fair market value, a double chest of Cobble is worth just over 2 Diamonds. I think you should offer 3 diamonds per double chest for manual labor + the cobble. If not that, then 2 for the most fair deal.
i agree with this. if you pay us too little noone will work.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

MKindy

Post by MKindy » 28 Mar 2011, 11:15

Furdabip wrote:Okay, so, Black. At fair market value, a double chest of Cobble is worth just over 2 Diamonds. I think you should offer 3 diamonds per double chest for manual labor + the cobble. If not that, then 2 for the most fair deal.
I third the motion, please. <3

DuplicateValue
Retired

Post by DuplicateValue » 28 Mar 2011, 12:48

vallorn wrote:
i agree with this. if you pay us too little noone will work.
Was it not voluntary work to begin with?

"He's like fire, and ice, and rage.
He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
And... he's wonderful."

MKindy

Post by MKindy » 28 Mar 2011, 13:13

DuplicateValue wrote:Was it not voluntary work to begin with?
True, but that also leads to overhang as people mine the lower 20 levels looking for gold and diamonds. I'm not above admitting it was a motivating factor for me to get paid, though I wonder if my copious mining raised inflation concerns... ;)

IC's going to look great, but it will be finished slower on volunteer work alone.

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 28 Mar 2011, 18:49

All teleports to the Imperial city have been ended until further notice. Please be patient,we just have to sort a few things out.

Regards, Bum
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 28 Mar 2011, 19:21

Updated op.
Did you know we have our own chat channel? Yes, we do! Just type /ch ic for all matters relating to the Imperial city.
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

UnusualStranger

Post by UnusualStranger » 28 Mar 2011, 19:34

Hehe....I don't think it feels right for me to help at IC much any more. I don't know where I should really mine any more, and it seems other people have become much more professional about the whole ordeal.

Oh well, it was good mining times while it lasted.
In a land of Mods, I am the voice that utters that which people fear.

Oh yes, I know this.