The Building Of the Imperial City: Diggin is DONE!

A place for Teams, Cities, and Groups to have dedicated threads
Saladus

Re: The Building Of the Imperial City: Now with moar minecar

Post by Saladus » 24 Apr 2011, 10:50

Just wondering... are we going to clear EVERYTHING within the borders? Or are we just doing floor 3 and below? Regardless, it still is best to clear below floor 3 after it's done so the outlines of The Imperial City can be laid.

Frostfeuer

Post by Frostfeuer » 24 Apr 2011, 10:59

We're gonna have to clear everything within the borders eventually. So like you said its best to get the levels 3 and below done first. Several buildings will be able to be completed under level 3 so if we can at least finish that a good amount of progress will be made.

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 24 Apr 2011, 22:17

Yeah, I had always wanted to do levels 1, then 2, then 3 and so forth so construction could begin as soon as possible. Sadly the Slime incident has prevented us from doing that without a ton of headaches, and to be fair I'm ONLY referring to the invisible slimes. The attackable slimes are really NOT that big of a problem as you can remove them by force. But Invisible slimes are super deadly, unnoticeable until its too late, prevent work in areas around many of the walls and they can't even be fixed by moderator/admin support.

At the very least if and when level 3 gets done, the amount of slimes in Level 2 isn't as bad as level 1 if they are still around at that time.

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 25 Apr 2011, 19:09

Maybe it's just me, but I've been working towards the NE corner on level 2 and have so far only run into 1 invisible slime. I get a very few mobs coming out of caves that I break into, but it's been really minimal. Should I keep working this level, or move up?

I do agree that the slimes under the overhang on level 1 are just obnoxious.
Which leads to this:

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 25 Apr 2011, 21:11

Eddietester1066 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I've been working towards the NE corner on level 2 and have so far only run into 1 invisible slime. I get a very few mobs coming out of caves that I break into, but it's been really minimal. Should I keep working this level, or move up?

If you're getting lucky and have minimal problems, then yes continue. The thing with any mob is they can't spawn within 20 blocks around you, so typically slimes won't spawn right on top of you, nor will an invisible slime just pop out of nowhere and kill you. Slimes only seem to spawn near the walls anyway and not necessarily anywhere below a certain level.

I realize I will have to work on level 2 when Level 3 is complete, but my hope was that when level 3 is done, the plugin issue will be resolved and we won't have to deal with them.

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 25 Apr 2011, 21:16

Infesord wrote:
Eddietester1066 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I've been working towards the NE corner on level 2 and have so far only run into 1 invisible slime. I get a very few mobs coming out of caves that I break into, but it's been really minimal. Should I keep working this level, or move up?

If you're getting lucky and have minimal problems, then yes continue. The thing with any mob is they can't spawn within 20 blocks around you, so typically slimes won't spawn right on top of you, nor will an invisible slime just pop out of nowhere and kill you. Slimes only seem to spawn near the walls anyway and not necessarily anywhere below a certain level.

I realize I will have to work on level 2 when Level 3 is complete, but my hope was that when level 3 is done, the plugin issue will be resolved and we won't have to deal with them.
Will do. Thanks to the beneficence of BlackAdder, I'm able to proceed a bit faster :D
Which leads to this:

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 27 Apr 2011, 18:13

Well, it appears that with the server being updated to 1.5 systems the Slimes have been removed. A friend of mine claims he's maybe seen a small one but I think he just THINKS he saw one.

HOWEVER, there are still areas where some invisible slimes from before ARE STILL THERE and they WILL STILL KILL YOU. Nevertheless, I'm going to working on the Southwest Corner levels 1 and 2 to take advantage of this slime removal, as there is no telling if the patch/plugin controlling them from coming back won't fail again like it did in 1.4.

At this point though, Level 3 is 75% done as the NW, SW, and SE corners have all been cleared out. I'm not sure if Hytro wants to continue working on the NE corner (he started it out and all) but it wouldn't be bad if he did. In fact I might do some work there If I get a partner, as the wall size pretty much spans the entire segment and I don't think will be as manageable as the other 3 corners that have been done up till this point.

colevp96

Post by colevp96 » 27 Apr 2011, 19:11

ill help to if you need it
its time to nut up or shut up

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 27 Apr 2011, 21:53

Heya, Bum here, keep up the great work gents, I'm really proud of how much work is getting done! :D
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 28 Apr 2011, 01:39

Why don't you start on 1 and 2 while less slimes before 1.6 just incase

lionheart_1
Site Contributor

Post by lionheart_1 » 28 Apr 2011, 05:49

Just a small update. Black and I have been building the walls of the central district, there's a little more ornamentation around White Gold Tower, and blocks are being laid in the Tiber Septim, Arena and Temple districts.
Keep up the great work peoples! :D
'Orbis non sufficit'

Saladus

Post by Saladus » 28 Apr 2011, 12:32

Looks great! Seeing parts of IC start to spring up is motivating in helping to clear. We've cleared out 3/4 of the 3rd floor, just a bit more to do in the north east corner, and floor 3 will be complete. After that it's probably best to start work on the ground level just so there's room for outlines to be laid.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 28 Apr 2011, 12:48

when ive finished fixing my laptop il finish excavating the Leafpocalypse zone... ruddy laptop hates me... :x
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 29 Apr 2011, 20:39

Saladus wrote:Looks great! Seeing parts of IC start to spring up is motivating in helping to clear. We've cleared out 3/4 of the 3rd floor, just a bit more to do in the north east corner, and floor 3 will be complete. After that it's probably best to start work on the ground level just so there's room for outlines to be laid.
Yup, I'm busting all my chops to just finish Level 3 so we can officially say that it's done. I can't wait to start hammering out floors 1 and 2 to give the builders more room to work in.

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 29 Apr 2011, 21:00

Very exciticed yall

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 29 Apr 2011, 21:14

Shouldn't we focus on clearing the floors of each level ? It's tons of space that we could use to build structures.
You cannot say it doesn't exist if you haven't seen it. ~Zinrius

lionheart_1
Site Contributor

Post by lionheart_1 » 29 Apr 2011, 22:40

Zinrius wrote:Shouldn't we focus on clearing the floors of each level ? It's tons of space that we could use to build structures.
That was complicaed by the fact that slimes were a major problem for a while, so everyone has been focused on clearing the levels where they wouldn't spawn. In the long term, all of the work done so far has been invaluable.
'Orbis non sufficit'

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 30 Apr 2011, 04:35

Update: FLOOR 3 HAS BEEN 100% REMOVED AND CLEARED! YAAHOO!
lionheart_1 wrote:
Zinrius wrote:Shouldn't we focus on clearing the floors of each level ? It's tons of space that we could use to build structures.
That was complicaed by the fact that slimes were a major problem for a while, so everyone has been focused on clearing the levels where they wouldn't spawn. In the long term, all of the work done so far has been invaluable.
Actually, Slimes still spawn from time to time and there are still stupid amounts of killer invisible ones all along walls of floor 1 and 2, with not as many on floor 2. You still have to be very careful around there, and if you do find a invisible slime to surround it with blocks so other people don't run into them as well.

As for Zinrius's comment, now that Floor 3 has been removed, I have begun seeing useless platforms and slicing them off so we can have more space to work, and because psychologically it is appealing to see visual progress of missing areas that were once filled with rock.

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 02 May 2011, 21:15

Infesord wrote:Update: FLOOR 3 HAS BEEN 100% REMOVED AND CLEARED! YAAHOO!
You cannot say it doesn't exist if you haven't seen it. ~Zinrius

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 02 May 2011, 21:34

Zinrius wrote:
I've decided you find the coolest gifs on the interwebs, Zin.

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 03 May 2011, 01:11

lionheart_1 wrote:
Actually, Slimes still spawn from time to time and there are still stupid amounts of killer invisible ones all along walls of floor 1 and 2, with not as many on floor 2. You still have to be very careful around there, and if you do find a invisible slime to surround it with blocks so other people don't run into them as well.

As for Zinrius's comment, now that Floor 3 has been removed, I have begun seeing useless platforms and slicing them off so we can have more space to work, and because psychologically it is appealing to see visual progress of missing areas that were once filled with rock.
I've started working through level 1 NE. Would you like me to also clear off the level 2 platform above that?

Regarding slimes, they really are annoying and could make the lower levels of the city practically uninhabitable.
Which leads to this:

Hytro
Retired

Post by Hytro » 03 May 2011, 04:21

Eddietester1066 wrote:

I've started working through level 1 NE. Would you like me to also clear off the level 2 platform above that?

Regarding slimes, they really are annoying and could make the lower levels of the city practically uninhabitable.
I'm clearing out level 1, around both sides of the east channel, but I have had no problems with slimes, only blocked in 2 invisi slimes, but thats it. Bad luck for you ;)
Iya AyemMeht YahklemOhtYoodtRoht DothAyemEkemDothRothIyaCess LyrOthRothDoth
Iya WebIyaLyrLyr CessOhtNethSethYoodtMehtEkem YahkemOthYoodtRoth SethOhtYoodtLyr

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 03 May 2011, 09:10

Eddietester1066 wrote: I've started working through level 1 NE. Would you like me to also clear off the level 2 platform above that?

Yes, clearing platforms is a good idea. It helps give you and everyone else a sense of how progress is going. As well removing platforms is a very simple and quick job, and once again using some good methods can be made super quick with TNT.

Speaking of methods, I suppose I could mention to everyone here about the new method I started using at the final end of Level 3 and have now figured out probably the final version of how to best utilize TNT for the fastest clearing of rock possible. Basically your wall should look like this:
2011-05-03_06.59.09.png
You only dig in 2 blocks, which will remove a 3x3x3 radius perfectly every time. The only clean-up you do is filling in holes and ceilings because of dirt, gravel or empty space from caves and what not. There is no digging loose blocks needed. And if you're very lucky, you can go right to drilling in holes for TNT again after relighting and collecting all the rock.

As well you'll notice the high amount of torches lined up in a torch space space torch and that the closest torch has 6 spaces in between it and the Wall. I do this for quite a bunch of reasons. First off, because you always remove 3 blocks forward, you can put another line of torches again and never have to worry about relighting torches that get knocked out by explosions (6 is as closest as you can get without a chance of that occurring). As well, if you can tolerate turning off smooth lighting, the torches going every 2 spaces can make the stone you need to drill in and place TNT in to detonate easier to see as they appear brighter than the rest (it can help you avoid making the mistake if you miscalculating where you need to drill) I also like using a lot of torches like this cause it looks cool and ensures that even if a few torches get knocked out from whatever that there is enough light everywhere you won't have mobs popping up randomly.... well except those DAMN SLIMES!!

I could go on, but I think you can get the idea. If I am ever in game just ask me for more. I have been doing this for some time now and believe using this method will help speed clearing at maximum. The only obvious downside to this method is that it uses quite a bit more TNT than before. For me though, Time is such a precious resource and TNT can be spawned in mass quantity by Blackadder and stored for later use. You just gotta be on top of it is all.

Edit: Oh and yes about slimes. Mydrox mentioned in the Fireside he is working on the invisible slime problem. They're working really hard on getting rid of them, we just have to be patient. as well I have noticed some HAVE disappeared on their own. Not sure why at all but lets just pray the annoying onces we have now disappear sooner rather than later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sag185
Retired

Post by sag185 » 04 May 2011, 15:14

Ive been working on level 2 :)
NE corner and someone put random tnt everywhere in there o.o Its odd :L

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 04 May 2011, 15:57

I'll probably start on one or four after the pvp is VIP + and after I have done the shire Walls 3/4 doneish

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 04 May 2011, 16:58

sag185 wrote:Ive been working on level 2 :)
The really odd thing is that the section you're working is that block that got dropped in after someone got overenthusiastic with a cubiod. The outer layers were nothing but solid stone: No ore, no voids, nada.
Which leads to this:

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 05 May 2011, 00:15

Eddietester1066 wrote:
sag185 wrote:Ive been working on level 2 :)
The really odd thing is that the section you're working is that block that got dropped in after someone got overenthusiastic with a cubiod. The outer layers were nothing but solid stone: No ore, no voids, nada.
Well you see, the thing is that segment got Cuboid edited because some jackhole put crap loads of TNT in there and left it. I suppose the cuboid trick didn't get rid of the TNT, the only thing to do was fill it up with rock so that at least the tnt still in there wouldn't go off in multiples and cause more of a mess. To be honest, I still think that was a poor decision. I deal with huge caves, holes, and messes before. You know what I do when I see em?
Spoiler! :
CSI Miami Deal With It.gif
Also for those not aware (and since I should be more on top of it): Level 2, SW Corner: 100% Cleared!

I then thought of about trying to do Level 1 SW corner so we could see the huge area just in 1 corner.,.. but the invisible slimes are just EVERYWHERE, not just outside the corner on the edge. No. They are also inside stuck in small caves, around corridors and it just made me sick to my stomach. I'm now working on the NW corner, riught below all my and a few other people's belongings.

Speaking of which, there are a few boxes laying around without names on em, It would be nice at some point to move off Floor 3 and go down (or up to floor 4 if you prefer) so we can remove more Level 3 and some level 2 platforms.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 05 May 2011, 11:55

Infesord wrote: Speaking of which, there are a few boxes laying around without names on em, It would be nice at some point to move off Floor 3 and go down (or up to floor 4 if you prefer) so we can remove more Level 3 and some level 2 platforms.
Just a thought here: What would you think of building out a platform (perhaps at level 4) on the central spike/lift shaft to use as a satellite warehouse, since the main one up top seems to be full up?
Which leads to this:

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 05 May 2011, 16:09

Makes more work. Why don't you ask blackadder if he could make another room for chests? By the way no mons in v3 while they fix the bugs so does that include invisible slimes?

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 07 May 2011, 21:15

Update time!!

Wow, what a month!

Once again, HUGE work has been done, and I am really impressed with all who has been working on this. Some construction also got completed near white gold tower and over all it looks bloody good.

Also I have an important announcement to make, Infesord is the new official Foreman dude thing. Which means, that if you do not now were to go or to start of he shall show you. I am giving this title to saw a thank you for the massive work that has been done and still is done a daily basis. He shall also get something nice when the city is done.

Of course though I am not forgetting about all the other helpers, who log in each day and blow some more chunks away from the massive land mass. Again a massive thank you, this project would not be as far as it is with the help that we get on a daily basis.

The warehouse which was supposed to be moved by me is still there, and shall remain so until I get off my ass and do some work. :)

Invisible slimes are still a menace and I know for a fact our Admins and Mods are working very hard on finding a solution to remove them, Ill keep you updated on how that is going.

With the intro of weather we can also pull of some nice lightning shots as well =D

Any questions, please post them here.

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.