The Building Of the Imperial City: Diggin is DONE!

A place for Teams, Cities, and Groups to have dedicated threads
Infesord
Retired

Re: The Building Of the Imperial City: Now with moar minecar

Post by Infesord » 06 Apr 2011, 05:42

tehbeard wrote:Do it the beard and drox way, safe, efficent, and nice to watch a stack of TNT level 2304 cubic metres near simultaneously. Thats about as efficient as it'll get.
Once again, its not just about being efficient, its about making TNT last (as Blackadder51 has stated, and HE IS the rule maker here and the guy giving us the endless supply of TNT to get this project done before 2012) and NOT making a huge mess. We have to keep the layers intact the whole way through or we're gonna have a hell of a time clearing off blocks every which way with no footing to work with.

So follow my 2 methods... or you can try and get the TNT legit yourself. Theres not enough Mob towers in the world to match the spawning power of Sir Blackadder. :P

Saladus

Post by Saladus » 06 Apr 2011, 10:45

The reason for doing TnT in the organized way Infesord has been doing is simple - it's organized and it makes every block easy to access. Take a look at the western wall. I haven't logged in for a day or two, but until we got the floor system set up, no one would even dare touch that side of IC. People would look at it and simply say screw it, because all it was (and still sort of is), was an unapproachable mess of a sheer wall of unevenness and overhangs. It may be fun to plop down TnT here and there and just blow it up, but lots of people have been spending hours trying to clear overhangs and blocks in midair that are the result of TnT. An organized method of clearing just makes things so much easier on everyone.

steelreefer

Post by steelreefer » 06 Apr 2011, 13:13

Infesord wrote:
tehbeard wrote:Do it the beard and drox way, safe, efficent, and nice to watch a stack of TNT level 2304 cubic metres near simultaneously. Thats about as efficient as it'll get.
Once again, its not just about being efficient, its about making TNT last (as Blackadder51 has stated, and HE IS the rule maker here and the guy giving us the endless supply of TNT to get this project done before 2012) and NOT making a huge mess. We have to keep the layers intact the whole way through or we're gonna have a hell of a time clearing off blocks every which way with no footing to work with.

So follow my 2 methods... or you can try and get the TNT legit yourself. Theres not enough Mob towers in the world to match the spawning power of Sir Blackadder. :P

Ah man, this whole time I have been getting mine legit from mob towers. Takes forever! :P

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 06 Apr 2011, 13:47

well the Flower Tower is nearby... :D

now for that Sand...
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Saladus

Post by Saladus » 06 Apr 2011, 15:07

Also I have to ask, is block lag pretty much gone now? I was clearing earlier and it was going WAY faster, probably only 1 block would return per 20 cleared or so. If so, clearing will actually be fun again!

MKindy
Everybody Have a Logical Time

Post by MKindy » 06 Apr 2011, 15:13

Cuboid for this place overlaps IC...:
what is this.png
Southeast corner of its cuboid is at x=-2414, z=138. Northwest corner of IC is at x=-2416, z=280, so a 3-block by 143-block section is effectively unmineable.

Edit: Looks like the cuboid only extends to x=-2414, z=218, so the unmineable section is not as big as I thought, but those three rows of blocks in that range aren't touchable by mortal hands.

Fortunately, the gold ore I just found lie outside the cuboid. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MKindy on 06 Apr 2011, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 06 Apr 2011, 15:33

that looks like the Mod Fortress... dont mess with that place...
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 06 Apr 2011, 15:45

vallorn wrote:that looks like the Mod Fortress... dont mess with that place...
It is the mod fortress, but you're right, the cubiod is a bit big. I'll see what I can do.
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 06 Apr 2011, 17:38

Saladus wrote:Also I have to ask, is block lag pretty much gone now? I was clearing earlier and it was going WAY faster, probably only 1 block would return per 20 cleared or so. If so, clearing will actually be fun again!
Sometimes with the new server that Wokka has now, and with a low enough amount of players, and if you're lucky block lag is just about gone. Its still kinda there but I believe its much more tolerable now. But yeah it does seem a lot more fun now.

Tehbeard

Post by Tehbeard » 06 Apr 2011, 17:56

Infesord wrote:
Once again, its not just about being efficient, its about making TNT last
Wha??

Efficient TNT mining means it lasts in terms of more buck per bang. the drox n beard method is drilling 3 deep holes with two blocks in between, cap with 1 TNT, then run backwards over punching them. So long as it's 70-90% stone under there it clears it level each time, and the drill depth can be adjusted for overhangs etc.

lionheart_1
Site Contributor

Post by lionheart_1 » 06 Apr 2011, 21:17

Vallorn is correct. No one is to enter mod fortress without the expressed consent of a moderator. Serious consequences await those who do not heed this warning. :evil:
'Orbis non sufficit'

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 06 Apr 2011, 22:46

tehbeard wrote: Efficient TNT mining means it lasts in terms of more buck per bang. the drox n beard method is drilling 3 deep holes with two blocks in between, cap with 1 TNT, then run backwards over punching them. So long as it's 70-90% stone under there it clears it level each time, and the drill depth can be adjusted for overhangs etc.
Okay, well either way ya slice it, just don't throw TNT everywhere and make a mess. From what you mentioned (since you have provided no pictures, Im just going by what I THINK you were trying to articulate) That will work just as well, with of course the whole thing with minor cleanup after each row of demolition.

This IS of course if you're talking about 'drilling" into walls and NOT into the floor. Once again, I have no specific idea since you haven't got any pictures or videos showing me.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 07 Apr 2011, 01:01

lionheart_1 wrote:
Vallorn is correct. No one is to enter mod fortress without the expressed consent of a moderator. Serious consequences await those who do not heed this warning. :evil:
i realy pity the guys who will never get to witness the awesome within... 8-)
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Tehbeard

Post by Tehbeard » 08 Apr 2011, 04:46

Infesord wrote:
tehbeard wrote: uberness.
Question.
Well I drill 3 down if the stone is 4 blocks high, 2 if 3, 1 if 2.
Don't worry, work is not left incomplete, I leave no holes for people to fall into, apart from the cave systems that get opened up.

Saladus

Post by Saladus » 08 Apr 2011, 15:21

Just a heads up, only 1 single pick-axe left in the dispenser :shock: Also, any chance we could get another payday soonish? If anything, I'm running out of chest space in the warehouse and I'm sure others are going through the same (unless you want us to just create more chests, but I figure that'd just make it a bigger headache for mods).

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 08 Apr 2011, 16:21

Saladus wrote:Just a heads up, only 1 single pick-axe left in the dispenser :shock: Also, any chance we could get another payday soonish? If anything, I'm running out of chest space in the warehouse and I'm sure others are going through the same (unless you want us to just create more chests, but I figure that'd just make it a bigger headache for mods).
Too many chests being a problem? S*** I got like 14+ chests that need appropriating. Although I would just like to be there when they do it. I can do the chest rebuilding and locking function. They just gotta confirm its filled and smash it and pay the diamonds.

sag185
Retired

Post by sag185 » 09 Apr 2011, 06:45

Slimes are making working on the lower levels and absolute bitch to clear :L im under assault every 5 mins :L

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 09 Apr 2011, 15:32

sag185 wrote:Slimes are making working on the lower levels and absolute bitch to clear :L im under assault every 5 mins :L
Yeah If I were you, just work on levels 3 and up. The slimes don't spawn there. The worst thing you will get on those levels 3 and 4 will be the "squish squish squish" noise they make when they follow you on the floor below.

Fortunately they are dumb enough to follow you the edge and fall down to the ground floor. They make sheep look smart. :P

Saladus

Post by Saladus » 09 Apr 2011, 20:12

Just a heads up, I've begun removing floor platforms that are no longer needed (any floor that isn't essential to clearing the blocks above your head). Even if we are making great process, it's eventually hard for people to see how much progress we are making if platforms are still staying the same around the tower. Basically, I feel it's important psychologically every now and then to SEE progress, and usually we gauge it with a view up top in the warehouse, or somewhere up high near the tower. I'll make sure though not to clear any floors where blocks still need clearing overhead, and I'll still try to keep outlines visible of each floor level.

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 09 Apr 2011, 20:15

Fantastic Work :)

BTW TNT is enabled now, when im ingame and see you ask me in the /ch ic channel for tnt.

I shall give it to vets I know, I also want it neat =D

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

ChirpsAreFlying

Post by ChirpsAreFlying » 09 Apr 2011, 20:51

Blackadder51 wrote:Fantastic Work :)

BTW TNT is enabled now, when im ingame and see you ask me in the /ch ic channel for tnt.

I shall give it to vets I know, I also want it neat =D
Neat how? Haha. :P :)
The Friendly Canadian. :)

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 10 Apr 2011, 01:19

Well, it has come to my (and I beleive Blackadder's) attention that some people DO NOT understand how to use TNT right. There are lava spills, giant holes and uneven floors everywhere from TNT misuse and I'm pretty sick and tired of cleaning up the mess. Blackadder gave you those TNT to use in an orderly fashion, and thats not being done by a few people.

Sorry If I'm out of line but the damage done to some the platforms and working systems we have is ridiculous and I'd like to see it stop before we have a complete catastrophe

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 10 Apr 2011, 01:22

I agree,

DO NOT ABUSE THE TNT OR I SET THE CAT ON YOU.

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 10 Apr 2011, 02:16

people are going to mine however they wish but leaving a mess isnt a good idea... however flooding the lower floor wth Lava sound like a solution to the issue of Slimes. :twisted:
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 10 Apr 2011, 03:42

vallorn wrote:people are going to mine however they wish but leaving a mess isnt a good idea... however flooding the lower floor wth Lava sound like a solution to the issue of Slimes. :twisted:
If people are going to use TNT like mad men, they should stay topside and get rid of the dirt and work down in layers all across the 500x500 boundary. NOT TNT huge gaping holes straight through intricate layers of constructed platforms

Also Slime problems? Just ignore them and dig any layers above a Height level of 20 where THEY CAN'T SPAWN. There is plenty to dig, ad the bottom can be done last. Chances are we'll have some plugin to suppress Slime Spawning or maybe Notch will disallow that bulls*** of them spawning in whatever light levels they please. I have no issue with them spawning in the dark as you can control that parameter, which is why no one really complains about Creepers, Skeletons, Zombies, or Spiders as much.

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 10 Apr 2011, 07:28

************NEW TNT TECHNIQUE UPDATE**********

After seeing some examples from some digging systems around Imperial City, and after some thinking and figuring out exactly what Saladus was talking about (I think this was Saladus's idea he mentioned to me and I simply dismissed it at first) I believe this method is even better than anything I've had before.

Basically you still keep the exact same level system we have going right now, BUT now you just take care of the top layer first then when the top layer of each layer is done, THEN you proceed to lower second level. Below are pictures showing what this will kinda look like:

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/6950 ... erview.png

This makes it easy to work on the top layer, as you have the Roof and the "Floor" very close together to fix in the event your TNT blasts hit patches of Dirt or Gravel:

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3688 ... opview.png

As for how much to dig and where the TNT goes, you dig as much as you can in (4 blocks in) and put the TNT at third block. This allows for (at best) a 5x3x3 blast extraction per TNT charge. This cross section model of a hole shows what it should look like:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8939 ... ection.png

This new system makes it easier to work in your work area, keeps it simple (no bridges or complicated stuff to fix floors or Roofs as much) and with this TNT dig and load technique you maximize the amount of damage a single TNT block does. Obviously this means theres always gonna be a few blocks to clean up after each blast event but in the long run your TNT handed to you will last longer and if you're lucky you won't have too much to clean up.

Another side note is for lighting, just make sure to put torches 5 blocks away (4 blocks of space with the torch on the 5th) and this ensure the TNT blasts won't knock em out. As well as I have found out, its probably not a good idea to dig out huge lines, cause after the TNT blasts dig out additional Rock, you have immediate darkness and might have a chance of spawning mobs to attack you. Just limit how long of a TNT line you are digging if you want to avoid that. Unless you can handle any mob like a boss that probably won't concern you.

Hopefully this will be the last time I need to make a big post on the wonders of TNT Technique systems for the Imperial City.... whew!

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 10 Apr 2011, 07:33

me, Black, Sachiel, Mydrox and black have nothing to do with the West Side Craters. its all Lions fault...

we DID NOT blow up 800+ TNT and crash our clients.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Tagmeh

Post by Tagmeh » 10 Apr 2011, 10:59

Basically you still keep the exact same level system we have going right now, BUT now you just take care of the top layer first then when the top layer of each layer is done, THEN you proceed to lower second level.
I figured this out after making a few dirt bridges. Dirt bridges are a pain in the ass... This strategy allows both the top and the bottom layers to be detonated one after another. If you make the top layer far enough away from the bottom layer, you can run across the top, detonate, then run back across the bottom and take that one out aswell.

Saladus

Post by Saladus » 10 Apr 2011, 11:46

I'm starting to think maybe black should have members demonstrate they know how to use TnT effectively and efficiently before it's given out. I know we said do whatever topside, but honestly, it's just going to create problems. Here's how it looks when it's done in an organized manner. It's clean, looks good, and most importantly, every block can be reached if you miss one.
http://imgur.com/C9XtO

This is what happens when we just go crazy and blow up stuff randomly. I take one look at this, as well as others, and I have no idea how to approach it to clear it. Walls are left hanging, blocks are in midair, and NO lighting is left behind. So... mobs are crawling all over it. This floor used to be completely flat and approachable.
http://i.imgur.com/Eyavg.jpg

Here's what it looks like from the bottom on a floor level. Notice no torches anywhere, making it a nightmare to work around with creepers up
http://imgur.com/Jncvv

This should be an absolute NO NO!!!! TnT lines are just no good...
http://i.imgur.com/nncRC.png

Here was the result last night of someone doing it. Tagmeh and I had to repair the floor. Picture the floor level here (with torches) not being there. Who's supposed to reach those blocks above? And how are we supposed to reach them when the floor is gone? Like I said, Tag and I had to put the floor back in place to make it possible to reach the upper blocks for future clearing
http://imgur.com/cGoqJ

I understand everyone's intent... everyone wants to clear IC out. Doing it in a completely random manner though is only going to delay the process. You can see how far back Infes has cleared in the first pic.

It boils down to- Organized clearing = every block can be reached, no creepers with proper lighting, IC is cleared out faster, vs random clearing = no one wants to clean up messy blocks, no one knows how to approach it, no lighting, creepers everywhere, IC is finished much later.

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 10 Apr 2011, 13:25

TNT enabled :D got some I wanna use, but I am sad that people are blowing up ic, Please clean it up if you do blow up craters ect and lava pools I suggest people stay away from the bottom layer when using it and only let professionals do that layer with TNT