Subway Maps and other Subway Proposals

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
ryn44

Subway Maps and other Subway Proposals

Post by ryn44 » 05 Jun 2011, 15:37

being a former New Yorker, former Chicagoan, and now full time Bay Area resident I have become quite fond of subway/metro systems as well as maps of those systems, this real life obsession has overflowed into my minecraft life and I have created a small ever-expanding public subway line just west of spawn with two major stops and two minor stops and many more to come.
That being said I am currently drawing up a legit subway map inspired by the New York MTA map (http://www.nysubway.com/map/zoom-midtown.html), that will document all subway stops in Escapie's Terra world, eventually I will also work on Fyra and FutureShift (if FS even has lines). The goal here is to make the subway system a viable option for Escapians in Terra as I currently feel they are too tough to find and sometimes to use.
I am also proposing some sort of an in-world marker for all public subway stops. The idea would be that all subway stops would be required to make their entrances highly visible with something like an alternating blue/white wool pattern doorway or something of that nature. In essence I have a lot of ideas to make the subways more accessible to legit Escapians who are contributing to the server, these helpful subway maps would be available on the forums which most griefers and douches don't tend to frequent.

Right now I have been communicating with many users/mods to kind of make sense of the current state of the subway system, I spoke briefly with Tehbeard this morning and am hoping to make some headway with him since he seems to have taken charge of the subways in general. I want to be a part of the solution to what I see is a problem with the subways being somewhat neglected and underused (there is quite a bit of crap in some of the current tunnels, including tracks placed on gravel, aka brakeblocks, which slow things down). What I DO NOT want to do is step on anyone's toes here.

If you have a subway line that I do not know of and want it included in my map please make a post in this thread.

Here is the most updated map.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ryn44 on 29 Jun 2011, 18:21, edited 7 times in total.

random980

Re: Subway Maps and other Subway Proposals

Post by random980 » 06 Jun 2011, 00:10

i think vallorn (might be someone else) already has a subway system under works, maybe ask him about this topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 06 Jun 2011, 00:13

I would love my line to IC to be placed on this map :)

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 06 Jun 2011, 00:17

random980 wrote:i think vallorn (might be someone else) already has a subway system under works, maybe ask him about this topic
Yes. The Escapia Rapid Transit Authority is the main system but right now it is full of flaws I wanna help clean up. That system links main areas like corinth, saphiri, solake, draconax, etc. I have spoken with him about some of this. Just got the file from Wokka of the large scale map so I will be working on the subway map very soon.

random980

Post by random980 » 06 Jun 2011, 00:44

ah, a clean up and a map would be good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

jagorrax
Retired

Post by jagorrax » 06 Jun 2011, 01:59

I used the NYC subway to get to work everyday so we are on the same page. I could use some help connecting all the boros districts in corinth to an organized subway system. I was planning a grand central station after I completed my several hundred other projects.
Sometimes I lather my body with Vaseline and pretend I'm a slug.

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 06 Jun 2011, 02:38

jagorrax wrote:I used the NYC subway to get to work everyday so we are on the same page. I could use some help connecting all the boros districts in corinth to an organized subway system. I was planning a grand central station after I completed my several hundred other projects.
I am in for that if you want some help. Right now resources have become scarce but all the digging should pay off. Maybe we could work together on it. Pm me or something if you want to get this off the ground sometime soon and want a hand

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 06 Jun 2011, 02:40

Just had to drop this for a fellow from the bay:
ceboF.jpg
lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 06 Jun 2011, 06:31

i support anyone that makes using the subways easier. however im more of a fan of the London Underground style maps for this.

Beard is still working on the new Station System and i hope he will soon publish a list of the stations we can use.

good luck Ryn!
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 06 Jun 2011, 23:26

Jag, that'll be some damn tedious work because of all the tunnels and lack of drive for people to stay within their plots underground. I think your best bet would be to establish a subway system beneath the roads, since most of them throughout the Empire are 3-wide. That's enough room for two tracks and something in between them.

This wouldn't work in Bron-Yr-Aur, though, unless you went a bit deeper beneath the roads. I have some lighting under construction that occupies whatever space the subway would need. Perhaps an East Corinth Station would be better than one for each district over there.

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 07 Jun 2011, 00:14

here is a quick preview of what I have so far. There is more but it is a big work in progress. and what the hell is with DinoTown having a subway stop?

update: see original post for current map
Last edited by ryn44 on 07 Jun 2011, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 07 Jun 2011, 01:53

jag, for your corinth line I would propose something like the Chicago elevated system.
I propose to use two main elements of their system;
1) make it elevated, no need to go underground and bother with accidentally breaking into someones space
2) use their "loop" concept, where it is one giant circle with stops along the way, this way you can use half as much track (by allowing carts to travel from one station to the next in either direction) and save space as well.

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 07 Jun 2011, 02:47

ryn44 wrote:here is a quick preview of what I have so far. There is more but it is a big work in progress. and what the hell is with DinoTown having a subway stop?
I like this a lot.

You need to show me how RSTP would fit in to all that...

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 07 Jun 2011, 03:09

Laptop_mini wrote:
ryn44 wrote:here is a quick preview of what I have so far. There is more but it is a big work in progress. and what the hell is with DinoTown having a subway stop?
I like this a lot.

how ironic that I just finished plotting it on the map.
here ya go bud.

also I propose that we make a walking tunnel for connections to Draconax since it is so dang close. and as I stated before since you have cuboid there you can make walls and doors that would be private to keep the RSTP line fully private to RSTP residents, only now they also have the added benefit of an easy transfer to the main subway lines

Last edited by ryn44 on 07 Jun 2011, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 07 Jun 2011, 04:12

heading to bed for the night. here is what I have so far. dashed lines denote lines with no current service. pretty good for a first nights work. hopefully something bigger and better by week's end.
main points missing:
large masses of land
many settlements
small details like names of places
few stops on the ERTA
at some point I want to add some detail to settlements rather than just the grey rectangles

update: see original post for current version of map
Last edited by ryn44 on 07 Jun 2011, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

donkypoink

Post by donkypoink » 07 Jun 2011, 04:55

lol darn, u stopped just before my settlement :P

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 07 Jun 2011, 05:07

This is awesome :)

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 07 Jun 2011, 05:24

the red line extends down from Corinth to Fort Itl then over to Vault88 then i think it hits the South Line.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 07 Jun 2011, 09:39

vallorn wrote:the red line extends down from Corinth to Fort Itl then over to Vault88 then i think it hits the South Line.
yeah. hoping to get all that plotted as soon as possible. right now the red line is the toughest to plot because it is the most extensive line on the server. mc derped and i got killed while riding the blutropolis off-shoot at corinth and lost a bunch of stuff which annoys the crap out of me but I guess it happens.
so far I am super pleased with the progress I am making and even more pleased at the positive response from you guys. thanks all.

derigin
Retired

Post by derigin » 07 Jun 2011, 12:00

Hey ryn.

This is a map of the "Southern Extension" of the Red Line:
http://i.imgur.com/gtoSY.jpg

The light red line is subway that is completely finished and under the jurisdiction of vallorn/tehbeard.
The dark red line is subway that is currenty unfinished, is under my jurisdiction, but I think I will give it up to someone who has the time and will to finish it. The tunnels are done for it, and some track laid, but someone with much more skill could take this over and get it finished within a day's work.

The stations on the lines are the dots:
Light Green = Corinth Main
Dark Blue = Fort Itl
Purple = Vault 88
Yellow = Talvelat
Light Blue = Kestle Lands and the Southern Safety Tower
Pink = Sanctum
Orange = Borderpost

If someone wants to take charge on the southern subway project, please contact me. I have so many projects in EC that I've neglected that subway for far too long. The tunnels are dug, some track is laid, some stations are made. I can help supply tracks and tnt if needed.

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 07 Jun 2011, 12:28

derigin wrote:Hey ryn.

This is a map of the "Southern Extension" of the Red Line:
http://i.imgur.com/gtoSY.jpg

The light red line is subway that is completely finished and under the jurisdiction of vallorn/tehbeard.
The dark red line is subway that is currenty unfinished, is under my jurisdiction, but I think I will give it up to someone who has the time and will to finish it. The tunnels are done for it, and some track laid, but someone with much more skill could take this over and get it finished within a day's work.

The stations on the lines are the dots:
Light Green = Corinth Main
Dark Blue = Fort Itl
Purple = Vault 88
Yellow = Talvelat
Light Blue = Kestle Lands and the Southern Safety Tower
Pink = Sanctum
Orange = Borderpost

If someone wants to take charge on the southern subway project, please contact me. I have so many projects in EC that I've neglected that subway for far too long. The tunnels are dug, some track is laid, some stations are made. I can help supply tracks and tnt if needed.

Derigin I am definitely interested but have almost tapped out all my resources. please check out the orange line (my line) and tell me what you think of it. if you want I will take on the job.

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 07 Jun 2011, 13:14

ryn44 wrote:
Laptop_mini wrote:
I like this a lot.

how ironic that I just finished plotting it on the map.
here ya go bud.

also I propose that we make a walking tunnel for connections to Draconax since it is so dang close. and as I stated before since you have cuboid there you can make walls and doors that would be private to keep the RSTP line fully private to RSTP residents, only now they also have the added benefit of an easy transfer to the main subway lines

Perfect. All you need to do is digg a bit in draxx's station for the end of the "walking" tunnel(3x3), then ill just start digging from my station to that place... So I know where to end it..

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 07 Jun 2011, 13:18

I will have to get permission from Draconax leaders. If you wanna start it up feel free, your end is gonna be a little more complex since you need private doors and such. I don't have any time today so if you wanna pm delphi or arogon and ask them if we can do this that would be great.

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 07 Jun 2011, 13:29

The locked door will be on my side of the tunnel, so its protected by my cuboid..

There will be a sign at the entrance saying its locked tho..

derigin
Retired

Post by derigin » 07 Jun 2011, 13:45

Ryn,

Let me know when you're next online. I will show you the "Southern Extension" subway. I can try to help you out with supplies.

I wouldn't mind also getting several other people working on the project. I know nart showed interest before. The more people on it, the quicker it will be done. There isn't much left to do (laying track, making sure it works well), so it's not a huge project by an means. I just have so many other projects (Beorn, Corinth) that I more or less abandoned this one to the back burner. Once completed, it will be as long as the IC railway, and will hopefully open up the south a lot more.

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 07 Jun 2011, 13:53

derigin wrote:Ryn,

Let me know when you're next online. I will show you the "Southern Extension" subway. I can try to help you out with supplies.

I wouldn't mind also getting several other people working on the project. I know nart showed interest before. The more people on it, the quicker it will be done. There isn't much left to do (laying track, making sure it works well), so it's not a huge project by an means. I just have so many other projects (Beorn, Corinth) that I more or less abandoned this one to the back burner. Once completed, it will be as long as the IC railway, and will hopefully open up the south a lot more.
I am in the same boat. starting projects and then not finishing. I figure for me at least the subway is the best project to focus on because it serves the server and everyone on it rather than my personal projects which are like extensions on my houses and such. This week is rough for me but I will see what I can pull together and when I can get online. I really wanna get another line going up to Solar City (see map) but would love to get the rest of the red line completed first if we could.

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 07 Jun 2011, 13:54

I'm excited. My town (which is severely under-visited, especially by me) is finally getting a subway station! :mrgreen:

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 07 Jun 2011, 14:33

What town is that? And what are the coords? Is it on a current line, is it new or is it a line I just don't know about?

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 07 Jun 2011, 14:39

It's Borderpost. It's at the very end of the unfinished red line. I've been a very absent mayor for quite some time, now....

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 07 Jun 2011, 14:41

By the way would anyone be willing to donate diamond or iron for the orange line or the continuation of the southern red line?