Roman Colosseum

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
ChirpsAreFlying

Roman Colosseum

Post by ChirpsAreFlying » 16 Apr 2011, 17:20

I FINALLY took some picture and put the up of my Roman Colosseum that I made many Minecraft days and nights ago... Haha. :P :)

Well, I hope that you enjoy!!! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Friendly Canadian. :)

Re: Roman Colosseum

Post by 697134002 » 16 Apr 2011, 17:36

I like everything but the stands. They just seem... underdeveloped.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

donkypoink

Post by donkypoink » 17 Apr 2011, 10:22

its nice, but not roman?

Joskeuh

Post by Joskeuh » 17 Apr 2011, 11:50

Just came back from Tunesia
I saw a real one there, this does not look like one...
Neveneffecten hebben u bij uw kersen... Basta.
- Basta 14/02/11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsIAfvcC52E

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 18 Apr 2011, 06:30

Thought I'd add a positive comment.

I Like it! It's not like it has to be 100 percent accurate or stunning in every area. It's Minecraft after all... that and the coolest thing I've ever built is a simple tower.

donkypoink

Post by donkypoink » 19 Apr 2011, 04:25

its not that i dont like it dont get me wrong i dont want to insult anybody, its just not roman

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 19 Apr 2011, 13:11

Looking around on google I would have to say I get the impression of a Roman Arena from this.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 19 Apr 2011, 15:15

I can see that it has Roman inspirations, but i don't see much beyond that. I have never quite seen the in's and out's of a Roman Colosseum myself, but from what i understand, and what Google informs me, They were round, not rectangles. I realize the world is cubic, but that shouldn't stop you really. The stands seem very odd to me, instead of long sloping seating areas, similar even to modern stadiums, you just have a standing pavilion. And two minor gripes, personally wouldn't have used sand, unless i was in a desert. And I'd like to see the arches scales up, well the whole thing really. It's just that the arches look like you tried cheating to make them. I'd say if you were to up it in scale, to make the arches 3 across, so that you can add a keystone to the arch, even if below it is filled in.

Very good other than that [paragraph].

arogon343

Post by arogon343 » 19 Apr 2011, 15:55

I however have been to roman ruins (being a history nerd on holiday :P) And allthough its not the kind of circular collisium you think of it is in fact, a rather accurate portrayal of a roman collosium, However its more to the design of those not in italy, but more of those in and around the roman empire.
I think io am correct in that.
Nice work btw!
CEO of D.I.A.S Corp.
if at first you dont succeed, 5 blackadders of tnt usualy helps....

donkypoink

Post by donkypoink » 19 Apr 2011, 16:25

then i just have to reply on the fact that the roman empire only conquered the lands and that the culture was kept, it could only be a mix then of roman and another tribe culture.

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 19 Apr 2011, 21:10

Nice! we should get one of these for PVP. But we need it round-ish instead of rectangular =3
You cannot say it doesn't exist if you haven't seen it. ~Zinrius

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 19 Apr 2011, 23:20

donkypoink wrote:then i just have to reply on the fact that the roman empire only conquered the lands and that the culture was kept, it could only be a mix then of roman and another tribe culture.
To be fair, the Persians were more inclined to let you keep your culture. The romans were to some extent, but you still had to have alot of their things.(for lack of terminology)

Also, my thought was that this was going to a pure Roman "Colosseum", if you want to retro-actively defend things by saying that it is based on the mixing of cultures on the outposts of the Roman empire, then i am putting my formal request that this be called a Roman-inspired Arena, Since Amphitheaters(As the coliseum/colosseum in Rome was originally) are just as i described, except for many were carved into mountains, instead of built up completely.

EDIT: Since i feel i should bring back the things i said about the viewing area.. This is a cross section of the Colosseum in Rome's seating: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... loseum.png

donkypoink

Post by donkypoink » 20 Apr 2011, 05:34

i am not defending it, i was saying that is wasnt roman.

ChirpsAreFlying

Post by ChirpsAreFlying » 25 Apr 2011, 11:23

I definatly appreciate the postitive comments as this "Roman-inspired Arena" as somebody suggested to call it, took me a VERY long time to collect the materials, trade for some, and put it together and what not. I can EASILY change the seating and can possible come up with another modification to make the actual fighting place more circular. I can definatly say that I would not mind making this a PvP arena as that was part of the reason why I made it in the first place (to suggest that it become a mob and/or PvP fighting arena). Thank-you all for giving me your two cents about how you find it as I will be making some adjustments to it sooner or later. :)
The Friendly Canadian. :)