Hi, I'm new here :D

New to the server or forum? Introduce yourself here.
Wolfram

Hi, I'm new here :D

Post by Wolfram » 17 Jan 2011, 16:22

Hello everyone!

Well, I've been Minecrafting for a while now but pretty much exclusively on my own, offline. Spent a good deal of time exploring the game and building fortresses, mining to the depths of the planet...

Anyway, I'm a regular at The Escapist so of course I saw the whole thing come up about building the Oblivion city. To be honest, while I think that's awesome, what has really attracted me is that it is the regular survival mode from single player. You gotta mine and protect yourself.

Browsing the posts, I'm excited by what I see. Settlements, cities, people helping eachother, rules to respect what eachother has done.

I'm excited to get home and log in tonight. I've been busy with other games lately, especially Gran Turismo 5, but I think it's time I go back to Minecraft and this sort of "MMO" experience seems like just what I want to do.

I'd like to have a spot near a lake or ocean, because I will probably do some farming. I had a nice little farm going in my last fortress... lots of bread! So, can anyone give me some basic directions where I might find such a place?

Also, I've read a bit about console commands. I know a thing or two about that but never used them for this game. For example, is there a minimap I can access? Where can I read about all the stuff I can do?

Well, thanks for reading this... hopefully I'll see you all tonight. I'll probably download Ventrillo too. I haven't used that since I quit WoW haha.

XDelphi

Re: Hi, I'm new here :D

Post by XDelphi » 17 Jan 2011, 16:30

Welcome to the server!
But, what a bad time to join. Beta updates and plug in update problems have forced us to take down the main server 'till it is fixed.
Now, to your questions.
Minimap Mod: Here is one of the best ones I have seen so far http://hubpages.com/hub/Zans-Minecraft-Minimap-Mod
Rules: Here is a link to the list of rules of the server http://www.escapecraft.net/phpBB3/viewt ... ?f=4&t=838

I hope this helps you, and that you have fun when the regular server comes back on!
....I'm Delphi by the way :lol:
Meet the Staff | Worlds Apart | The Imperial City | Server & Forum Rules | The Store
"What are the odds of two elusive pastries?" - MKindy on his theory of conspiracy

Wolfram

Post by Wolfram » 17 Jan 2011, 16:43

Hi Delphi.

Thanks for the links. That minimap looks great. Does it work underground too? I don't usually have too much trouble finding my way back out but anything helps haha.

Also I just read about the drop box thing. Is there a good amount of resources there, like this minimap mod, and also texture packs and such? I also don't have a custom avatar yet haha. Never needed one in single player :roll:

XDelphi

Post by XDelphi » 17 Jan 2011, 16:56

Concerning the minimap, I would expect so. If not, you could find a waypoint and dig your way up there? :lol:
And I don't have much experience with Dropbox, but I expect there is a fair amount of resource for you there. People on this server are quite helpful, so if there are any quiries about Dropbox, I am not the best person to ask I'm afraid :oops:
And as a side note, I am a moderator on this server (Along with others, if you see the light blue name), so if you need anything or any help, don't hesitate :)
Meet the Staff | Worlds Apart | The Imperial City | Server & Forum Rules | The Store
"What are the odds of two elusive pastries?" - MKindy on his theory of conspiracy

DuplicateValue
Retired

Post by DuplicateValue » 17 Jan 2011, 16:58

Hey there! :D

Well I'm happy to inform you that our regular map is very water...ful (>.>) so you should find a nice lake to settle by no problem. I found a lovely one that I'm currently building a new house next to. :)
Unfortunately we're on test servers at the moment, as Delphi said.

Also, is your username a Kyo Kara Maoh! reference?
Last edited by DuplicateValue on 17 Jan 2011, 17:00, edited 2 times in total.

"He's like fire, and ice, and rage.
He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
And... he's wonderful."

Darktaint
Retired

Post by Darktaint » 17 Jan 2011, 16:59

You'll have to give my your email for me to invite you to dropbox :)
It has a whole load of things on it ^^
there's several texture packs which look good but i'll have to update the one i placed on there so yeah :P
I think there's some skins on there too I'm unsure though. For skins use http://www.minecraftskins.com/
A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. - Gandalf the Grey

Wolfram

Post by Wolfram » 17 Jan 2011, 17:09

Cool beans! Thanks for the responses and welcomes.

And to Duplicate Value, no I'm afraid not. More of a chemistry reference :geek:

Post by 697134002 » 17 Jan 2011, 18:51

Download a skin?! I never understood the point of that.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 17 Jan 2011, 19:06

697134002 wrote:Download a skin?! I never understood the point of that.
What part of it don't you understand?
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

Post by 697134002 » 17 Jan 2011, 19:14

About why you do that when you can make one yourself.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 17 Jan 2011, 19:19

Some people don't have the knack for making it themselves, or just don't have the right talent... hence why there is a site dedicated to people making skins and uploading them.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 17 Jan 2011, 20:16

Milo Windby wrote:Some people don't have the knack for making it themselves, or just don't have the right talent... hence why there is a site dedicated to people making skins and uploading them.
and some people (Like me) use em as a template because we only want something a bit different to the origional.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Wolfram

Post by Wolfram » 18 Jan 2011, 01:08

Ohh make my own skin? Yeah I'd be down to try that out. It would probably be easier to download one and modify tho, at least at first. I have photoshop although I haven't used it in a long long time.

I don't know the first thing about starting to mod textures in this game tho :(

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 18 Jan 2011, 01:46

Wolfram wrote:Ohh make my own skin? Yeah I'd be down to try that out. It would probably be easier to download one and modify tho, at least at first. I have photoshop although I haven't used it in a long long time.

I don't know the first thing about starting to mod textures in this game tho :(
Its very simple for texture packs now, just download the zip file and place it it the texturepack folder in Minecraft.

Its in appdata or hit ther button that opens it for you in the main menu.

I use painterly which is a basic pack.
http://painterlypack.net/customizer.php

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 18 Jan 2011, 11:22

vallorn wrote:
Milo Windby wrote:Some people don't have the knack for making it themselves, or just don't have the right talent... hence why there is a site dedicated to people making skins and uploading them.
and some people (Like me) use em as a template because we only want something a bit different to the origional.
Yup, my usual skin is an edited version of an already existing one. Although, I make no qualms about my lack of creativity in that department.

DuplicateValue
Retired

Post by DuplicateValue » 18 Jan 2011, 13:50

I didn't think I'd be able to find the one I wanted, but it happened to be there so it saves me making it. :P
I may edit it sometime in the future... Ciel needs new clothes. :lol:

And Wolfram, when you get access to Dropbox, I think there's a tool for making skins in there.

EDIT: Here it is:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=4843

"He's like fire, and ice, and rage.
He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
And... he's wonderful."

Wolfram

Post by Wolfram » 18 Jan 2011, 17:14

Cool :D

arogon343

Post by arogon343 » 18 Jan 2011, 17:26

well hello there! o/
wow you have caused more of a stir than most with your entry but welcome ^_^
i hope you enjoy the server very much and happy minecrafting.
dont know much of what to type everyone got pretty much everything covered....allthough if you ever want to live near us id be happy to set you up with a house , and we do live next to a large body of water and have lots of free land to farm on :)

yours sincerely james ^_^
CEO of D.I.A.S Corp.
if at first you dont succeed, 5 blackadders of tnt usualy helps....

Wolfram

Post by Wolfram » 18 Jan 2011, 20:06

Well until the server is up I've just been playing single player. I'm figuring things out. I definitely will need a place to mine, and I'm thinking about building a tower of some sorts as well. The farming is mostly just for bread in case I get some combat injuries ;)

Definitely tho, I intend to check out different settlements once it's all up and running

Wolfram

Post by Wolfram » 19 Jan 2011, 11:26

Sad that the server didn't work for me last night. But on the plus side, I started fooling with redstone. Logic is teh funz! :ugeek:

But yeah, it's tough to come up with cool redstone stuff. I did a "clock" but I know we can't really put those on the server. Working on locking doors and other little things that don't really do much (yet).

Turbo_Turban

Post by Turbo_Turban » 20 Jan 2011, 08:18

Any gentleman worth his title will have a mighty tower of stone to survey his agricultural estates, and a mine for his Welsh coal miners to work. You definitely have the right ideas.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 21 Jan 2011, 10:38

Turbo_Turban wrote:Any gentleman worth his title will have a mighty tower of stone to survey his agricultural estates, and a mine for his Welsh coal miners to work. You definitely have the right ideas.
All of my Welsh coal miners are specially exported to all my estates across the Empire!

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 21 Jan 2011, 15:26

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:
Turbo_Turban wrote:Any gentleman worth his title will have a mighty tower of stone to survey his agricultural estates, and a mine for his Welsh coal miners to work. You definitely have the right ideas.
All of my Welsh coal miners are specially exported to all my estates across the Empire!

I thought welsh were perishable? D'ye have to transport them in special freezers?
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

Wolfram

Post by Wolfram » 21 Jan 2011, 15:29

Bahah you guys are hilarious! :lol: